Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Making a visually appealing menu
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
syntax0r

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:00 am   Post subject: Making a visually appealing menu

I would like to make menus for my game I am making. However, I am not sure how I should make them. I've summarized some of the ways I can make a menu (with my current knowledge of Turing):

-Case Construct Menu with a fancy picture display selections according to a number

-Simple GUI Button menu. It's just a indented GUI label with buttons in the middle. Font looks horrible, and the greyish, silver menu buttons don't match my color theme, but hey! it looks sophisticated.

Now, my options are rather small. I do not how to make visually appealing menus with other ways.

Somethings I wish to do for a menu.

-Special click on the custom, non-GUI button

-Have the user control the menu selection with the keyboard. I've seen this on the forums, but the source wasnt provided.

Any help/tips/suggestions on good menu creation will be greatly appreciated. Share some of your ideas!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Making a menu could become a pretty big project. If you don't have the time, make it GUI. If you do, by all means, make your own. You'll need to know how to use the mouse and how to check if the mouse is over a certain "object". If you want to know how to work with the keyboard, you simply hit the up/down arrow keys and that adjusts a selector variable. The value of this variable determines which button is selected at any time.
Unfortunately, that's the easy part. That hard part is managing the menu. What you don't want to happen is you have nested if statements that go on to oblivion (and beyond) as your menu obtains more and more items. To prevent this, you'll need a firm understanding of procedures/functions. It would be good if you knew classes as well, but that will only make designing the actual menu easier. The difficult part, input & managing your menu, remains just as hard.
syntax0r

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks for the reply.
\

I presume that I should use the simpler Case Construct menu.
neufelni

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I made a pretty cool menu for my game and it was quite simple.

menu.t
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  menu.t
 Filesize:  1.74 KB
 Downloaded:  121 Time(s)

Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: