Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Making a business rpg. Need ideas
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Khrist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:08 am   Post subject: Making a business rpg. Need ideas

Ok, so what im doing is basically making a life simulator kind of like stick rpg(xgenstudios.com). The difference is i want to focus less on graphics and more on indepth game play like being able to invest money in real-estate and the stock market. Or buy stuff on a market and resell it for profit in your store or something. So, some of the things i want to include are:
-a stat system for the character(charisma,intellect,ect.)
-a real-estate system(buy a house, resell it, or live in it.)
-banks,stockmarkets all that jazz.
-bussiness where you can work at the beginning to make some moolah.
-and lots more. Ide like to hear your ideas as well as some ways to do this.
Ive decided on using whatdotcolor for the mapping. But im still puzzled as to how to go about this, if its even possible. Becasue i will need multiple maps which load when they leave or enter buildings ect. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance casue i know there will be some great replys.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Using whatdotcolour would be a bad idea. The easiest way to do this would be to store maps using an array, and then use a tile based engine to draw the maps.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Note: Almost anyting is possible

Stats System: Simple, juss assign certain variables to whatever his stats are.
code:
var charisma, intelligence, etc. : int

And if something happens in the game where you need to add to it, just add to it.

Real Estate System: This could take long to make due to images. If he's going to buy different houses, they're going to look different. Just have a section where it displays a Scaled Display (Pic.Scale) of the house, with the cost of it beside it. You can use basic arrays to match them up.
code:
var housepic, housecost : array 1 .. housecount of int

Banks and Stocks: Just have an area where you can deposit money. But this would only make sense if he can get robbed and lose all of his money, or in the bank he earns interest.

Business: Use your creativity. This can take time, unless it's easy fast cash. Just think of chores and different jobs your player can do.

And Lots More: Check out this tutorial on RPG Making. Very well done. http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=502
Bacchus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

jamonathin wrote:
Note: Almost anyting is possible
hm. cross out the Almost Razz my philosophy is Anything is Possible, possible is the key word there (to stop argument b4 it begins) although it may be possible it is probably very unlikly for things to happen and then we start going back in hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy Razz. although everything is possible, some things are quite improbable lol
wthef_wc3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Im making a rpg game as well and im using a tile based sys for the map. i used a tile sys that stores tile values
(ie. 0=treadable,1=untreadable,2=interactive,3=transporter etc.)
in a 2 dim array.
and to make it easier i made a map editor that places the pics of the map tiles (ground, tree, water, mountain) and automaticly declares the location values, then exports this data into a data file which is used by the actual game to load maps.
Honestly its easier to do this cus then u can make a warcraft type game where it has multiple maps.
-Just an idea to get u started.
Drakain Zeil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I suggest doing most of these things inside data files.

Depressingly, you can't take advantage of binary smallness here. It's 256 values minimum or bust in turing (unless you make your own way of doing binary management, heh).

So, you can load up to 256 images on an X by X grid (lets go with 20x20 okay?). Each number can be changed to it's text equilivant (use the ord/chr thing) then saved to a file. You MUST use the same order each time for loading map files, so pick a method, most people go accross the X (left->right) then start again on the row below, and finish when they have reached the last row.

You can overlap a "move here" "don't move here" values just below that first graphical "layer." Below that you can invent you own simple scripting language and interpreter to do actions, exits, monster spawn, etc etc.

scripting languages should be short, and simple. Use flags to decide things. Then for texts accross the screen, you can make a start/end flag that wouldn't occur in game to mark where a text ends.

If you're new to this concept, or are confused by it, I suggest keeping out of the entire scripting thing for a while, come back to it later.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: