Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 RPG Help
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jamonathin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:05 am   Post subject: RPG Help

I wasn't sure if this was to go into help or submissions, but since I'm asking for help, i figured i'd post this here.
I'm making an rpg, and all I have so far is a guy walking around a map, and he can go into a cave and a cabin. I just wanted to post this here and see if you guys can find anything wrong with it so far.

I also want your input on it, and I haven't fully decided on what type of rpg to make this (i.e. pokemon, final fantasy, zela, etc.). If you guys could help me out that'd be great, thanx. Smile
Note: All maps were made from my mapmaker program Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Delos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Pretty good so far. A couple of suggestions:
- add an FPS limiter. This way your char won't go around looking like he's hyperactive.
- transitions between screens...right now it's just sorta *flash!* and you're in the cabin or cave or whatever. I've caught a glimpse of a 'loading' screen...but just for aesthetic purposes add a wipe or blur or skew or anything like that...
- I hope you won't be keeping that GUI object for your character selection...it's nice now, but just as a word of advice, you'll want to get rid of it later. Implementing OOT GUI usually adds ~300 kB of unnecassary data to your final proggie. Although, with something as graphics intense as this that might not be a problem...hehe.

Good job so far. Keep at it.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I did the changes you suggested, and i posted it back up there ^^, but I'm still not sure what you ment by add an FPS limiter . I'm not sure what that is. Confused
Delos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You'd better check your transitions...they only seem to work from the 2nd try upwards...

As for your FPS question, check the Tutorials, I'm sure there's one in there. It will help a lot, especially for running on comps that are faster than your own...the whole problem arises due to OOTs really bad delay() commands, that don't really work too well...
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You don't want to limit your frame rate, instead you should make your movement based on time, not on a delay.
Delos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm...how so?
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Man you got some nice starting skills.
It could be mush better though it will take time.
Nothing really wrong just better ways to do things.
It you really wnat to make high class RPG's
Google RPG Maker XP
This is a rpg maker (hence name) it comes with all the basic spricts (in RGSS a form of ruby don't get help here though it is differnat and will crash if you use standard ruby), It also comes complete with character sets, tile sets, sounds and lots of other stuff. You can edit every part of the game and therefore the game will be completly yours. If you want I am looking for people to help me with my game just go search my name under all post it is called like I NEED GAME MAKERS or somehting.
O one last thing if you wnat to get the program will have to geta cracked version becasue the real one is in japanesse and costs $ 110 U.S.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Sounds good guys, thanks. And 'll probabily look you up when I'm at school today stargate.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

martin wrote:
You don't want to limit your frame rate, instead you should make your movement based on time, not on a delay.

Do you mean Time.Delay??
Bacchus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

probably Time.DelaySinceLast so then theres a pretty equal framerate going on
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: