Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Best Browser?
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Which browser do you prefer?
(No ending time set)
Firefox
65%
 65%  [ 21 ]
Safari
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Opera
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
IE (no one shoot me please)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Chrome
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 32

revangrey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:37 am   Post subject: Best Browser?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what the best internet browser was (in your opinion of course).

I am currently using FIREFOX but my computer often uses >90% cpu on FIREFOX alone (it goes up and down, not constantly above 90).

so I am looking for another browser, better than ie that I will probably not stuff full of applications.

I downloaded safari earlier today but I cannot scroll for some reason...

Any and all suggestions appreciated Very Happy

p.s. is opera any good? Neutral
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:04 am   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

Chrome, because I like it.
TheGuardian001

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:42 am   Post subject: Re: Best Browser?

It really depends on what I want to do.
If I'm just doing some quick browsing and want fast page loading, I use chrome, but I normally want the added features of Firefox's addons, so I'll have to go with Firefox, since it's what I use day to day.

Oh, and Opera seems to be a pretty nice browser. It seems to be a bit easier on memory than Firefox, although it lacks the addons I love so very much. It's definitely at least worth a look.
apomb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:02 am   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

operamini
saltpro15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:02 am   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

Opera here, Firefox is a little chunky for my liking...
andrew.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:52 am   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

On Windows, I think the best is Opera. It's the fastest, but you don't have the add-ons like in Firefox. Safari is also good, but it's kind of "chunky" (as saltpro puts it) on Windows.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Chrome is also very good, but it's basic and is only good for if you want to view a few webpages.
revangrey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:34 pm   Post subject: Re: Best Browser?

blargh I forgot to put in chrome.

Oh well, thanks for the suggestions!
rdrake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:24 pm   Post subject: Re: Best Browser?

revangrey @ Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:34 pm wrote:
blargh I forgot to put in chrome.

Oh well, thanks for the suggestions!
Worry not, I have added Chrome.

Anyways, my thoughts...

• Chrome is fast but lacks extensions, so it's useless.
  • Opera tries too hard to look different. I hate how it looks on my desktop since it uses Qt and I do not use KDE. The lack of extensions combined with the fact that it's ugly makes it useless.
  • Safari on Windows is useless. On OS X it's ok and it has extensions, so I usually use it on OS X.
  • Firefox is clunky but it keeps getting better and better. The vast array of extensions makes it my primary choice.
  • IE is great for debugging Silverlight and/or ASP.NET applications. It loads faster than all the others and plays nicely with the debugger. Otherwise it sucks worse than the rest.

Edit: I suppose I should quantify how IE is "faster" to load. By load I mean start up. Loading web pages is usually slow.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:44 am   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

I used Opera for a bit on my PC. It doubles as a torrent downloader (forget the actual term) so you don't need to open limewire or similar massive appliations. I switched to firefox quickly, as it gets around most of the restrictions on my school's computers (muahahaha). I hate safari, mostly because I can't be bothered to looks for and get used to the buttons and options & stuff. My favourite is Firefox by far.

Also,

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=18768

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=18291

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=6048

Just a few of the many identical threads. Felt like putting it out there, this topic's been done to death.
Shah-Cuber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:02 am   Post subject: Re: Best Browser?

... Chrome ...
Zren

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:22 pm   Post subject: Re: Best Browser?

rdrake @ Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:24 pm wrote:

• Chrome is fast but lacks extensions, so it's useless.

Chrome now has themes, and the development of extensions is coming soon. There's already basic extension support in the developer builds.

Chrome is more or less my favourite, though I like it's clean and speedy interface, thus I won't be installing many extensions when it does come out. I'll keep those mainly on Firefox.
rar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:12 pm   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

I use Opera 99.9% of the time. I'm amused to see that people are saying Firefox is "chunky" because I had heard that Opera was worse, but never experienced anything to back that up. In my experience, Opera has always run better than Firefox. Plus with Opera, you needn't go search for all the add-ons because everything you need is already there. It does lack the customization of Firefox, but most, if not all, the features you need are already there. I learn something new about it everyday lol
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

I use Firefox mostly because i have yet to find anything better. I find Firefox has memory and cpu issues, however i like the UI and add ons enought to use it over opera.

Chrome and IE are windows only so they are not realy and option for me. I also am not a fan of webkit witch Chrome and Safari use.

I do like Opera mini for my portable devices however.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

The main reason I'm sticking with firefox is the extensions. Can't do without them. (firebug, web dev, scale, color pick Very Happy and yeah ad block...er...which i assure you is disabled on compsci Rolling Eyes)
TheGuardian001

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:45 pm   Post subject: Re: Best Browser?

Well, If you really wanted to get chrome you could just build it from source. Although that seems like a lot of work just to get a browser.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 38 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: