Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Pic. allocated problem.
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:00 pm   Post subject: Pic. allocated problem.

I am making a program for my computer tech class, and the program is pretty much finished. The problem is, after the program runs for a bit it will crash with the error message "Pic. never allocated".

I'm using PicIDs and Pic Draw after Pic.Screenload wasn't working. I also have View.Updates, as well.[your site was great for this Very Happy ]

I would post my program but it is kinda long, about 1100 lines, and requires the files to run.....It's a space ship shooter.

Any help would be apprieciated.

As well, would adding Pic.Free a the end of my program free up the memory? Currently I can no longer indent due to being out of memory... Embarassed
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, definately do a Pic.Free.

I don't think I can help you much without seeing the code. I can't remember ever seeing that specific error message. Attach the code as a zip file with the necessary files, and I'll try to help you further Smile
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

How do you make a zip file? Embarassed
[this is my first real program Wink ]

I already have a working version without this problem using entirely View.Updates without 'fill pics' [little rectangles to draw over previous spots], but that version runs extremely slow on my schools computers. So this is an edited version to run faster, with the fill boxes and a few View.Updates.

Arg did that make sense?

I don't think it really matters too grealty, as 90% of the class is doing an easy trivia game Rolling Eyes . The teacher is already impressed with my program.

The problem seems to occur randomly in the program when attemptignt o laod a pic.
Delos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1)
Zip files are made using compression software such as WinZip. If you are running XP then you simply need to right click on the required files, and then click on Send To, followed by Compressed Folder.
You may dl a basic version of WinZip from Download.com. Or if you're feeling particularly advenerous, use WinAce.

2)
So, you're using little boxes...in that case, why don't you simply look into View.UpdateArea()? You'll need to be running OOT 4.0.5 for that, but I'm pretty sure you're there already.
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks. Very Happy

EDIT: Nothing seems to work but the minigame........ Crying or Very sad Mad At least the minigame still beats 90% of my class, which is rather sad.

The files are all there, but the game doesn't seem load them.

Final Project.zip
 Description:
Final game with files

Run Galaga Xt Edited Version4

Download
 Filename:  Final Project.zip
 Filesize:  241.82 KB
 Downloaded:  147 Time(s)

Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ugh, processes Neutral
Hmm.. You have a major problem with shooting. Whenever you shoot, you can't move. Confused
Anyways, I'm not getting this "Pic. never allocated" error. Mind you, I didn't play it for that long before the game stops responding.
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
Ugh, processes Neutral
Hmm.. You have a major problem with shooting. Whenever you shoot, you can't move. Confused
Anyways, I'm not getting this "Pic. never allocated" error. Mind you, I didn't play it for that long before the game stops responding.

when did the game stop responding?

And you are able to move when you shoot, as far as it runs on my computer. Do you mean when you actually shoot the laser [then yes], or when the laser starts to move?

And sadly I never found this site before to find out how processes are bad before using them..... Sad

Final Project Aplha.zip
 Description:
possibly this verison better?
(may run slow)

Download
 Filename:  Final Project Aplha.zip
 Filesize:  284.74 KB
 Downloaded:  162 Time(s)

Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The game stopped responding, maybe, 15 seconds in to it, or so.
Laser starts to move? Maybe it's just my computer, but I'm not seeing this. And, actually, I suppose I said it wrong. You probably can move when you shoot the laser, but things just go insanely slowly (it feels like it's skipping a bunch of frams). So, until the laser goes away, I can't really control the ship.

EDIT: Nope, that program (alpha) seems to be the same, though I completed the first wave. I think that might just be because I'm getting more used to the way it functions on my computer.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm not sure what is causing that problem on your computer. The program allows the laser to move and shoot at the same time when I run it, on my personal computer and the cschools computer.

Well it doens't really matter, I guess. I won't be able to find out what is causing the problem by the time its due [tuesday], so I guess I'll leave it as it is. At least its better now than an normal trivia game. Wink

Thanks for your input, though.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: