Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Random Number Sorting Issues
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
w00t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:24 am   Post subject: Random Number Sorting Issues

Hey,

Im having some trouble sorting an array i have in my program for school. Its an imitation of a lottery and i have an array filled with 6 random numbers, but i need to sort them

-edit - Code is now useless
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, looks like your sorting method works. It seems to me that it is only sorting 5 of the numbers from 1 to 6 (ie. 1, 2, 3, 5, & 6 -or- 1,3,4,5,&6) and 49.
So, we need to fix your random number generation, not your sorting.
First, change your array from 1 .. 49 to 1 .. 6. Then, we want to create 6 random numbers (from 1 to 49) and assign them to our intnumbers array. But, each time we create a random number, we must check to see that that number is not = to any of the previous random numbers that we've made. Use a loop and an exit command to do that.
Essentially, you'll have your loop, then your random number generation line, then a little more complex code to check if the current element of the array is equal to any of the previous elements of the array. I suggest making a function to do this, but it's not necessary.

I hope you can understand that. Post any further questions if you have them Wink
w00t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

sry, im slow today, could u explain a little more
Quote:
Then, we want to create 6 random numbers (from 1 to 49) and assign them to our intnumbers array.

its one of those days were I'm completly disoriented, so im lost here, i made this last night when it made sense. How do i do this. I feel like an uber noob asking but oh well..

w00t
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Your questions are welcome. Smile

for each element of the array, make a Rand.Int.
w00t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks alot, i have it working !!

yay ! now back to programming my game

Arrow * insert theme music here *

!WHEN FURBIES ATTACK!

lol, thanks alot Cervantes, greatly appreciated!

w00t w00t
Drakain Zeil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That's funny, I just did a lotto number program for school, it's on my hard drive at school however... so I won't have access till jan. when school stars up again.

edit: Hmm, this is rather old, I just noticed that...
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: