Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 jump with gravity
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
new

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:40 am   Post subject: jump with gravity

how can i make a normal oval jump when a key i pressed with gravity and it should fall back vertically. but i want it to move left or right if right or left arrow keys are pressed, or they sud fall back vertically down.

can anyone help me with this..plzz
thx a lot in advance
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Here's the basic code for jumping, involving gravity. I hope it makes sense to you. If not, feel free to ask questions.
code:

const gravity := 0.15
var x, y, vy : real
x := maxx / 2
y := 100
var jumping := false

var keys : array char of boolean
loop

Input.KeyDown (keys)
    if keys (KEY_UP_ARROW) then
        jumping := true
        vy := 5
    end if
    if jumping then
        vy -= gravity
        y += vy
    end if

if y < 100 then
    end if

cls
    drawfilloval (round (x), round (y), 10, 10, black)
    delay (10)

end loop

I'll leave it to you to add in the left/right movement, and to incorporate double buffers (offscreenonly).
new

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:32 am   Post subject: small problem

hi.,,,thx a lot man...the gravity thingi works, but if we keep pressing the up arrow...it keeps going up and then when we realses it..it falls back

how to make it like, when one pressed it goes certain height only and falls bak...then we can press again to jump
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd prefer to keep my jumping in a loop of some kind, and it is activated as a key is pressed.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Paul wrote:
I'd prefer to keep my jumping in a loop of some kind, and it is activated as a key is pressed.

You mean, a loop within a loop? Or processes? Either way is bad. Former: nothing else will happen when you are jumping. Latter: ... Rolling Eyes

new wrote:
how to make it like, when one pressed it goes certain height only and falls bak...then we can press again to jump

That's easily fixed.
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey, I didn't read his other mario thread. As far as jumping with gravity is concerned Very Happy
MihaiG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i don't seem to get the left motion...of the ball.... and then going down... i can get it too go right but not left....but i also get a problem withwhen i do right it goes back to where i pressed right... i need help
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It may be just me, but I found that quite incoherant. Try posting your code. That should explain your problem much, much more effectively.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
MihaiG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

heres the code for right and up(notice: i can only get one direction of motion for one ball... one for each direction and each are attracted to one gravity.. look

code:

const gravity := 0.1
var x, y, vy, vx, z, vz, q, x1, x2 : real
x1 := 100
z := maxx / 2
var jump := false
var key : array char of boolean
loop
    Input.KeyDown (keys)
    if keys (KEY_UP_ARROW) then
    end if
    if jumping then
        vy -= gravity
        y += vy
    end if
    if y < 100 then
    end if
    cls
    delay (10)
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Input.KeyDown (key)
    if key (KEY_RIGHT_ARROW) then
        jump := true
        vx := 5
    end if
    if jump then
        vx -= gravity
        z += vx
    end if   
    if z < maxx / 2 then
        z := maxx / 2
    end if
    cls
    drawfilloval (round (z), round (x1), 10, 10, black)
    delay (10)
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
end loop
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Make two velocity variables for your character (assuming your game is 2d), an x and a y one.

When you press left or right, if you are on the ground, your x velocity is increased (if right is pressed) or decreased (if left is pressed).

When you press up, your y velocity is increased (ie, you jump). The acceleration due to gravity will slow this down. I suggest you use real world measures (metres, seconds), and you then translate them to pixel coordinates.

Don't ever use processes. They are bad, and very unpredictable. There is absolutely NO reason anyone should ever use one (except for Mazer, but we banned him because he was a jerk).
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Question Question: why are you using such strange and confusing variable names? You're using z to store the second ball's x position, and you're using x1 to store the second ball's y position. This isn't three dimensional. Wink

Some general coding improvements:

You only need to use Input.KeyDown once inside your loop. You don't need two different arrays (char of boolean) to search for input from two different keys on the keyboard. Rather, just use one array char of boolean and just use one Input.KeyDown. Use if statements to determine if the key you are questioning is being pressed.
    Try to keep all your drawing commands together. That means only have one cls; follow that by drawing your two ovals (though when the program is corrected you'll only have one ball); follow that by your delays.

I'm not sure if you've updated your code since Martin's post (I don't see a message edited by note, but I often don't see those when people have edited their posts. Dan?) but I think you may have, since you are using vx.

Right now, you've kinda got a program that simulates a person jumpin off of a black hole. The black hole is located at (maxx / 2, 100). Regardless of which direction the person jumps in, he is always pulled back to the black hole. If you are trying to make a program like what new was trying to do, you want to be on Earth. For the purposes of the program, we will assume that Earth is flat and that gravity pulls everything directly downwards with a constant acceleration regardless of location.

When you're on the surface of the Earth, you can move north, south, east, and west. For the purposes of this two-dimensional program, let's just say we can move east and west. We can, however, also jump up into the air. When we do this, we jump off the surface at a specific velocity. Gravity pulls back at us (it causes us to accelerate downwards).

Let's take a look at some code. It uses only one Input.KeyDown and only one section of drawing commands. It allows the player to jump and to walk around on the surface of the Earth.

code:

setscreen ("graphics:400;300,offscreenonly")
var x, y, vy, vx : real
y := 10
loop
    Input.KeyDown (keys)
    if keys (KEY_UP_ARROW) and ~jumping then
    end if
    if keys (KEY_RIGHT_ARROW) then
        x += 1
    end if
    if keys (KEY_LEFT_ARROW) then
        x -= 1
    end if
    if jumping then
        vy -= gravity
        y += vy
    end if
    if y < 10 then
        jumping := false
    end if
    cls
    View.Update
    delay (5)
end loop

Now, the only problem with this is that the ball moves instantly. ie. there is no acceleration. It's velocity is instantly set. For some types of games, this effect can be desired. But let's explore acceleration in the x plane.

It's essentially the same as jumping. Let's look at some more code:

code:

vx := 0
loop
    Input.KeyDown (keys)
    end if
        vx += 0.1
    end if
        vx -= 0.1
    end if
    if jumping then
        vy -= gravity
        y += vy
    end if
    if y < 10 then
    end if
    x += vx
    cls
    View.Update
    delay (5)
end loop

note that the ~jumping is the same as not jumping which is the same as jumping = false.

Simple enough, I hope. However, There are two problems with this. First, the ball rolls with the same volcity forever, unless the right / left arrow keys are pressed. We're not travelling in empty space here, so we'll add some friction to the object. To do this, create a constant for friction and assign it a value of 0.99. Then, just before (or after, it doesn't matter too much) you add vx to x, multiply vx by friction. However, since friction when jumping through the air is negligable, we need an if statement to make sure that the player is on the ground. Like this:

code:

const Friction := 0.99
%----------
x += vx
if ~jumping then
    vx *= Friction
end if

Good enough. The second problem is that the player can change directions in mid-air. Once again, this can be a desired feature of some games, but let's explore how to fix it so it's more like the real world.

To fix it, wrap an if statement around the keys (KEY_RIGHT_ARROW) and keys (KEY_LEFT_ARROW) if statements. The outer if statement should make sure that the ball is not jumping. If he's not, then it will enter the if statement and allow horizontal movement.
Like this:
code:

if ~jumping then
            vx += 0.1
        end if
            vx -= 0.1
        end if
    end if

So, let's look at our final code:

code:

const Friction := 0.99
vx := 0
loop
    Input.KeyDown (keys)
    end if
    if ~jumping then
            vx += 0.1
        end if
            vx -= 0.1
        end if
    end if
    if jumping then
        vy -= gravity
        y += vy
    end if
    if y < 10 then
    end if
    x += vx
    if ~jumping then
        vx *= Friction
    end if
    cls
    View.Update
    delay (5)
end loop

And there you have it.

It should be noted, however, that a Mario style game, where the player is a man and is walking / running around, would probably benefit most from immediate acceleration (ie. don't use vx). A racing game, on the other hand, where the player drives a car, would benefit most from using acceleration (ie. using vx). Mind you, it would be a minghty strange racing game, given that we're seeing it from the side and that the car can jump into the air Laughing.

-Cervantes
MihaiG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

heres the code for boundries..
code:

if x < 15 then
        x := 15
    end if
    if x > maxx - 15 then
        x := maxx - 15
    end if

put it before the cls
draw circle... :-)otherwise it will be slow
new

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

hi guys..thx for your help.....
i 'm adding this jump to ma game mario...in that game...how to make :when he jumps under a block and when he hit it..he sud fall back and not go up any more using wat dot colour..? any ideas??

i'm using this code for the jump part

setscreen ("offscreenonly,graphics:600;350")
var up : int := 0
const gravity := .15
var value : real
var x, y : real := 33
var chars : array char of boolean

loop

Input.KeyDown (chars)

if chars (KEY_UP_ARROW) and y <= 40 then
up := 1
end if

if up = 1 then

value := 7
end if
if jumping then
value := value - gravity
y := y + value
up := 0
end if
Draw.FillBox (round (x), round (y), round (x + 10), round (y + 10), yellow)
View.Update
end loop
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I explained it all in your Mario thread when I linked to a past help topic about jumping and whatdotcolour collision detection. Have you read through that topic?

edit: code tags, please Wink
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: