Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 I feel stupid! How do I quit a running program?
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
RenegadeX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:02 am   Post subject: I feel stupid! How do I quit a running program?

Ha! I haven't used Turing since highschool -- probably 11 or 12 years now.
I found a floppy disk the other day with it on and installed it for kicks. I was a whiz back in the day, but it's been so long I feel rather embarassed to be asking..

How do I exit a running program?
I made a permutation-generator that loops into the thousands before it's done and I can't remember the keys to exit! I thought it was CTRL--something??
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

See that little bitmap picture of a X on the top right corner of the program? Move your mouse such that the pointy part is over this picture and click your left mouse button, that should do it. Very Happy
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I think it's supposed to be CTRL+C to stop a running program. And if that works, while you're at it you can go CTRL+W to close the run window.
Although I'll usually do the following to save myself the trouble:
code:

var win := Window.Open(stuffgoeshere) % open my own run window

loop
   % ahh! stuff happens repeatedly!
   exit when hasch
end loop

Window.Close(win)

It's pretty useless when you actually need input, but if you're just testing some graphics this can be quite handy.
RenegadeX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks for the answers guys.
CTRL-C was the one.. and was the first one that I'd tried before posting.

For some reason is does not always seem to work, and *does not* work in my program that uses nested-For-loops to calculate permutations.
However it works every time in a simple 3-line For-loop example.

The 'exit when hasch' works though, but again, only if placed in the 'right' for loop.

Asiansensation:.. I don't have a little X in the corner...
might have something to do with the fact that I'm running Turing v5.5 (1991). Very Happy

I've been browsing this site for a couple of hours and I've learned a LOT of features and functions that I did not even know existed!
I especially like the shorthand tips! Thanks!
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Heh. I got home about an hour ago and tried to see if CTRL+C would work, and turns out it doesn't on the newer version. I guessed it was for 3.11 or so, and I was about to post that information when I found myself a new pic to put into avatar form. Very Happy

Glad it worked out.

EDITS:
I didn't realise you just used for loops in the program, I just assumed it would be a regular infinite loop.
I'm glad you're learning new things, that's what makes compsci cool.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

RenegadeX wrote:

might have something to do with the fact that I'm running Turing v5.5 (1991).

might... we're running v4.0.5 (2004)... so I'm going to guess you're refering to the DOS version of turing Confused eek
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
beard0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The lack of "the little x" suggests the dos version as well. I never had any difficulty, regardless of code using CTL-B instead of CTL-C. Try that if you would rather not insert exit when hasch code.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: