Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 help! i have two files, one module, the other main, module..
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
r0ssar00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:12 am   Post subject: help! i have two files, one module, the other main, module..

i need to have the variable's value exported from the main program so it can be accessed from the module, is there any way to do this? var name is
code:
test1
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Delos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm....

code:

module main

export nothing, thisIsMyVariable

var globalTest1 : int := 4

procedure nothing
put "Well, I'm a disaster!"
end nothing

function thisIsMyVariable
result globalTest1
end thisIsMyVariable

end main

You figure out the rest...and serisouly dude, please be a lot clearer when posting your questions. And a bit more code than "test1" would help to understand.
As it stands I'm not even sure of what you asked, but I hope that I answered it...
beard0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You can actually even put the variable in the export list, and if you like, by prefacing it with the keyword var, you can even change it's value outside of the module.
code:
module test
    export test1, var test2
    var test1, test2 := 3
end test
put test.test1
test.test2 := 5
put test.test2

Will return:
code:
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In reality, of course, exposing the variables in a module is an exceptionally bad idea. Heck, just having global variables in a module is phenomenally bad design.
beard0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

very true wtd. However, I would argue that for someone starting out, that whatever works is what you go with. It's only through experimentation with the limits of what the constructs will allow you to do, that you can then determine what are the better methods to use. Sure someone can tell you "it's better to do it this way," but you'll learn so much more by experimenting. And that's what compsci is about - learning! Very Happy
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ah yes, the joy of learning the best way of doing things by screwing up repeatedly. Wink

Been there. I'm entirely self-educated in the field of programming. I've been screwing up gloriously for 6 years!
r0ssar00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ive also been mainly self-educated over 1 year and am building a dos-like prompt, i am trying to figure out how to make multiuser a reality in it
r0ssar00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

the reason being, they don't give us either dos prompt at school or a file manager
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
beard0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

code:
var r:int
var prompt:string
loop
    put ">"..
    get prompt:*
    system(prompt,r)
end loop

This is the basics: the system command should come in quite handy!
r0ssar00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:59 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yes, i have used it twice already, once to exec an external compiler and a second to execute commands in a way like linux
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: