Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Final Project Zelda game Proposal help.
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Jonny Tight Lips

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:28 pm   Post subject: Final Project Zelda game Proposal help.

OK since I was sooo very bored in computer science I asked if I could work on my final project. SO he said yes but I have to make a proposal on what I'm going to do. I have come up with doing a zelda games, like the snes game. Well anyways I was brainstorming a few ideas about fetures that I could have in to game and I was wondering if you guys had any cool ideas about interesting things that I could add to the game. I'll take any idea no matter how crazy its all good. But let use remember that I am doing this in turing and there are limits (ie. no 3D plz). Well thanxs in advance.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Start reading throw the QFTB help book (not the code one) and you will get lots. Like "item of the day guy", the dog that can not stop walking back and forth, the inn, a crapy name for the game, ect.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Working on your final project in September? You remind me of a programmer I once knew...
I would suggest:
1) Don't make the dungeons too long and repetitive like the original, it keeps some people from bothering to finish the game (not just me, one of the guys working with Miyamoto actually never finished playing through any of the games).
2) Add some cool spells. Not just like the medallions (Bombos, and whatever), make it so that you can teleport. Maybe have the game pause and then a transparent pic of your character can walk around the screen to where you want to teleport.
3) Sword techniques/combos. I always felt that the sword spin wasn't enough. I don't actually have many ideas here, but you can come up with something I think.

Good luck!
Jonny Tight Lips

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
Working on your final project in September? You remind me of a programmer I once knew...

Hey its better then doing nothing all class. Well some might disagree but I think its better.

so far so good. Getting some good ideas.

But now i have another question where did you or would you get the tiles for your game? I have some but there not very good. [/quote]
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Jonny Tight Lips wrote:
Quote:

Hey its better then doing nothing all class. Well some might disagree but I think its better.

That was a complement. I know what you're going through. Chances are, there is nothing better to do in class, except maybe homework for other classes, or developing skills that have nothing to do with it.

Jonny Tight Lips wrote:
But now i have another question where did you or would you get the tiles for your game? I have some but there not very good.
[/quote]
That's the beauty of starting now. You can make your own! Yeah, it's more work (in fact, you may want to just copy the character sprites from somewhere unless you like/are proficient in 2D graphics), but in the end when people say things like "Where'd you get the pictures?" you can say "Fool, I made them. Step off, newb." (Or some variation of that)
Genesis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Haha, I did the same thing back in grade 11 comp sci. Final project a few weeks into the course.

I made an RPG that looked like an old school SNES rpg, but I made it up myself. (I didn't just remake a game, I made my own plot, characteres, etc.) So everyone was even more impressed.

Anyways, the best places to find map tiles, character sprites, etc. is on sites for RPG Maker stuff, if I could remember any off hand I'd tell you, but I can't. Try googling for "Character Sprite Sheets" or "RPG Sprites" or something.

I have several hundred megabytes of character sheets and map kits that I saved from when I made my game. (You'll need to have a little Photoshop skill to make good looking maps.) As soon as I get my FTP back up, I'll let you know.
Jonny Tight Lips

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Now that would be a good idea if I wasn't soooo crappy at draw just about anything. I have found some good sprites for the main charecter. But if anyone want to make some tile for me just for fun that would be nice Laughing I'm j/k I pritty sure no one has that much time on there hands ... or do they Wink Well I have like 6-7 months to find/make some so I dunno what I'll do but I got time 8)
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What size and types do you need?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Jonny Tight Lips

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well pritty much I don't care what size they are I would say around 40 by 40 but really I don't care as long as I can fit enough of them on the screen. What type, I would say Forest, Grassland, town, and dungoun but again its all good. If I have it I use it.

And in respones to what Genesis said its just going to look and play sorta like Zelda I am going to make my own plot and such. Also I am think of doing my oun voice over lol I'll play every charecter. I'm pritty sure Dan can back me up on my skills in that department. Laughing Multi personalitys
omni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Good luck with ur project Jonny. I wouldn't worry about the looks of the game right now. I would focus on the dugeon layout, the scrolling, enemy AI, and about 10000 more things that make a game good. Not to overwhelm you though Smile.
Genesis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Nah, the looks of the game are just as important! People (who aren't programmers) aren't impressed by your amazing code. It's gotta look awesome too.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Genesis wrote:
Nah, the looks of the game are just as important! People (who aren't programmers) aren't impressed by your amazing code. It's gotta look awesome too.

sadly that is ushely true for CS corses in high school.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Jonny Tight Lips

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh no it will be my amazing voice overs that will amaze everyone. You'll see. When I get around to doing them I'll post. It shall give everyone a good laugh.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Mazer wrote:

hmmm if im not mistaken, that guy made some crap called Evasive Maneuvers or something ended up with a lousy 100 Laughing
the_short1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well... i could help..

tiles u say..

i got a program called 'Scenerio RPG maker' ... it has TONS of tiles... and worlds.. texttures... plants etc.. all sprites..

u can make nicerpg games with it too... if u have the time....

if u want it ,.... just PM me.. and ill post it on my FTP and send u da link..
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 21 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: