Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Starting Turing
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
cycro1234

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:15 pm   Post subject: Starting Turing

Hi, I just started turing nd i was wondering if there were ne sites i cud go to help me out with turing. Does ne1 know of ne? I need some sorta manual or guide or something...plz help. Thx in advance
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How about CompSci.ca, lol.

Securly tho, have u looked around here? we have tones of tutorials and examples. Also we got a gaint help section where u can any question about turing anwsered.

There is a help file incuded with turing (in the progame) that can be helpfull aswell.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
cycro1234

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, I have looked around the site. I need more though. I'm not looking for a question to be answered or a specific topic I need help on. I want to learn Turing from the beginning, all the way to the end. Like starting with the easy commands then moving on. Sort of like what they do at skool.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well there are several intro tutorals on our site......

The sreach thing works nicely too to find tutorals.

This is the bigested turing site other then the turing site made by the poleop who make turing. But there site realy sucks and will most likey not help u.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
cycro1234

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok, thanx Laughing
Artermis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What you should do is start turing and press F10 to access the reference file. It won't teach you chronologically, but you can look up anything you're interested in learning and it will teach you how.
DanShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cycro1234, have you (or are you) takin Computer Science? A fair amount of schools start off with their first year teaching turing. Since I highly doubt anybody (except me, lol) would try to create a tutorial to teach ALL of Turing....your might as well just think of what kind of project you want to create (oh, and dont ask for my tutorial plz, its not complete, will never be, and im not uploading it, lol.). Basically, (of course as an example), here is how I would think of to create a text based RPG.
[Check the tutorial section, I created a tutorial on how to create a graphical RPG...it could help you start off.]
Ok, first off, the user should probably have a way to develop a unique character based on what path he wants to take (magery, warrior, bowman, etc.). So the character will probably need some statistics to do this....now how do I create statistics?? Variables! Here are some I think ill want...(ill just use warrior stuff though.)

{Warrior Stats}
    - Health Points (measure the amount of damage my character can take until he dies)
    - Strength (measure how much damage my character can deliver to his enemies)
    - Defense (measure how thick my characters skin or armor is, and how much damage it can stop)
    - Agility (figure out what chance my character has of dodging an attack.

code:

var health, strength, defense, agility : int
% This declares these statistics as integer variables.(Which hold numbers)

Now, to create areas (like in MUD's), you create an array (a set of numbers held within 1 variable name) of them.
code:

var areas:array 1..50 of string

Anyway, I g2g, so basically do it along these lines. Here is a little more advanced, but SUPER easy way to do things!
code:

type Warrior:
record
health, strength, agility, defense : int
end record
var player : Warrior
%This declares the variable 'player' as a Warrior.
player.health=20
player.strength=3
player.agility=2
player.defense=4
put "Player is a Warrior"
put "HP: ",player.health
put "Str: ",player.strength
put "Agi: ",player.agility
put "Def: ",player.defense

Anyway, hope this helps. Check my tutorial. G2g, cya!
blackwhite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if you take it at school don't you get those textbooks? they're great for the basics. if not, go to your library and look for it Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

blackwhite wrote:
if you take it at school don't you get those textbooks? they're great for the basics. if not, go to your library and look for it Smile

Not the turing ones, they are like prue evil. Better off taking the corse outline and then looking up tuorals on each subject on the site in order they are going to be thougth Wink
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

DanShadow wrote:
Now, to create areas (like in MUD's), you create an array (a set of numbers held within 1 variable name) of them.
code:

var areas:array 1..50 of string

Anyway, I g2g, so basically do it along these lines. Here is a little more advanced, but SUPER easy way to do things!
code:

type Warrior:
record
health, strength, agility, defense : int
end record
var player : Warrior
%This declares the variable 'player' as a Warrior.
player.health=20
player.strength=3
player.agility=2
player.defense=4
put "Player is a Warrior"
put "HP: ",player.health
put "Str: ",player.strength
put "Agi: ",player.agility
put "Def: ",player.defense

Anyway, hope this helps. Check my tutorial. G2g, cya!

Good god man! slow down!! He JUST started with Turing, and might not even know how if statements work, and yet you're trying to teach him arrays and types/records?! madman! lol Laughing

anywho, the first program that I suggest you try to make cyrco1234 is a program to determine the larger of two numbers, not this textbased RPG stuff. Silly
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: