Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 collision detection in a fighting game
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
VB_User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:22 am   Post subject: collision detection in a fighting game

Hey i am making a mortal kombat clone in turing and i am just wondering about something. I was thinking of just using a rectangular collision detection which would work but probably isnt the best way. If anyone has any suggestions on another way i could do it let me know.

Thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well using circular collision detection would work better (its also covered in the tutorials).

this way you can set up bones throughout your character, filled with circular detectors along it, making a more realistic colision detection.

what I mean is like this:

-----
OOO>O
-----

that is a shitty diagram of the arm, anyway, Os are the rangest of colision detection, so you can set them up quite nicely. They just have to follow the arm, so you might have to employ some trig for it.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Delta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:43 pm   Post subject: good idea

I never thought of checking collision like that for my fighting game maybe I will rewrite it. THNX for the idea Very Happy
VB_User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I dont think i have time for that kind of complicated stuff. I mean i got 9 fighters and would have to have alot of circles for every frame of animation. What type of detection did you use delta?
Delta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:22 am   Post subject: whatdotcolour

I had colour detection using whatdotcolour to check if one colour is on top the other I just checked at the tip of the foot and fist. The players couldn't get too close so it still worked nicely.

Not the most efficient way to do it but it worked.
VB_User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well i made a test engine that uses the rectangular dectection and it works pretty good. I actually am supprised at the results. I think that even the original mortal kombat may have used something similar from a few tests i did.
Delta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:59 am   Post subject: Post it

You should post your mortal kombat clone. That would be cool Very Happy
VB_User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i will when its totally finished. I have to rewrite a few parts of it and also add more characthers.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: