Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Creating a Magic Square??????
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Hobz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:57 pm   Post subject: Creating a Magic Square??????

I have no idea how to begin doing dis programme. I have to construct a magic square (a square that the sum of all the numbers in any row, column or diagonal is always the same). I have to use a 2D array for the table and I have to ask for the size of the square.

THE RULES FOR CREATING A MAGIC SQUARE

The square always has an odd number of rows and columns
The starting position is always in the top row and the middle position.
The moves are
move up one and to the left
if move causes you to go off da square, use wrapping idea (bottom row is visualized as being placed abouve row one.
if move up and left encounters a filled square, then drop down one row and enter the value
otherwise, continue with up one and left one rule.

ANY IDEAS WILL BE HELPFUL!!!!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wow, the assignment even tells you how to do that Rolling Eyes

just keep your position variables (X and Y) and each time though the loop just move them

y += 1
x -= 1

Then you check if you're out of bouondaries

code:

if x=0 then
x := squareSize
end if

similary check for Y.

Then also check if the square is already occupied or not and move location in similar fasion as before. After all the moving around, place your counter in the position and repeat the loop
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: