Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Movement Code
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Knightmare

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:14 pm   Post subject: Movement Code

I've got an end of the year project im getting a jump on cause I don't wanna wait till last minute for it (like i did my dice game) and I just wanted to know what you guys thought the most efficient way of getting a character to move to a desired location. Like I click my character. hes selected, click somewhere else and I want the animation of him moving to play till he gets there...how should I do this?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Asok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

first off you should check out the tutorial here: http://www.compsci.ca/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=6

this will teach you how to incorporate your mouse into your turing program, it should be able to help you out.
JayLo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

too bad turing can't support animated .gif files or it would be [b]alot{/b] easier! Razz
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

turing cant support .gifs PERIOD. well in 5 years when they dont have to pay for a licence Confused

otherwise, you can animate bmps or jpegs by writing a procedure to loop through the images. Such as instead of drawing an image, you call a procedure which has a counter that determines what image to draw.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
JayLo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

stupid cheap holtsoft... ya...
code:
var leftPic1 : int := Pic.FileNew ("leftPic1.JPG")
var leftPic2 : int := Pic.FileNew ("leftPic2.JPG")
var leftPic3 : int := Pic.FileNew ("leftPic3.JPG")
var x, y : int
procedure movement
    loop
        Pic.Draw (leftPic1, x, y, picMerge)
        Pic.Draw (leftPic2, x, y, picMerge)
        Pic.Draw (leftPic3, x, y, picMerge)
    end loop
end movement
Knightmare

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks for the replies but im not looking for how to animate, im looking for moving it from one place to the other. As in the character is at (1,1) and I tell it to go to (5,11) or something like that. I want to know how to calculate how to get him to move to that position
Asok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

a variable for currentpos and finalpos for both x and y, get the difference of it. make a for loop count on that difference and increase the x and y coordinateds by thier variables to reach finalpos.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it works much the same way as the the procedure for drawing a line.

you calculate displacements on X and Y axis (difference between 2 points), total displacement (c^2 = a^2 + b^2). The total displacement is how many steps you take total.

Now you divide X and Y displacements by number of steps, the result is how much you need to move per step to move along a straigh line. Once you got that, you run a for loop from 1 to number of steps and add X and Y step displacement once through each run. That should take you from point A to point B in a straight line Very Happy
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Vicous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

or are you talking about a board game style, where the charector goes from square to square, one at a time, in which case you should figure out loops to make the charector go left, right, up and down etc. and go from there
Knightmare

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks again, actually no its going to be a RTS, i did the ctf game like that for my dice game (mid term proj)
Thanks for everything.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: