Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Procedure parameter in build-in function (such as GUI.CreateButton)
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Kalimoor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:02 pm   Post subject: Procedure parameter in build-in function (such as GUI.CreateButton)

Hi Turing experts,

Suppose I have the below button created, what I am trying to do is to insert a parameter to playMusic procedure,

button := GUI.CreateButton(fileButtonPositionX, fileButtonPositionY-25, 0, "Play", playMusic(current_file))

Below is my procedure,

procedure playMusic (filename: string)
locate(1, 1)
fork BackgroundMusic(filename)
end playMusic

As you can see, I need to input the current_file, which is a string, to playMusic procedure and then the process BackgroundMusic will take the music current_file and play it.

However, when I did it, it keeps on saying "playMusic is a procedure call and hence does not return a value". I looked online all over the place but I never found an information that process can take a parameter inside CreateButton.

Please help me out here! Thank you!!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:59 pm   Post subject: RE:Procedure parameter in build-in function (such as GUI.CreateButton)

Do you have any other calls to playMusic elsewhere in the code?

The only thing I can think of is that *maybe* Turing won't allow procedures with parameters to be an actionproc (the procedure called by a button).

Somewhere in the code it's asking playMusic for a result as if it were a function.
Kalimoor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Procedure parameter in build-in function (such as GUI.CreateButton)

Insectoid @ Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:59 pm wrote:
Do you have any other calls to playMusic elsewhere in the code?

The only thing I can think of is that *maybe* Turing won't allow procedures with parameters to be an actionproc (the procedure called by a button).

Somewhere in the code it's asking playMusic for a result as if it were a function.

Hi Sir,

Sorry I had to delete my code because it is for an assignment. If possible, can you demonstrate to me how I can pass a parameter to a procedure used by CreateButton?

Thanks!
Insectoid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:45 am   Post subject: RE:Procedure parameter in build-in function (such as GUI.CreateButton)

The simplest answer is to use declare current_file globally, and accessing it directly from playMusic()

Var current_file

Proc playMusic
Fork backgroundMusic (current_file)
End playMusic

It's not really good practise, but if it works it works. Turing does have a few strange issues related to the GUI, this may be one of them. I don't ever use it myself, I prefer making my own buttons with Mouse.Where and draw commands.
Kalimoor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Procedure parameter in build-in function (such as GUI.CreateButton)

Insectoid @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:45 am wrote:
The simplest answer is to use declare current_file globally, and accessing it directly from playMusic()

Var current_file

Proc playMusic
Fork backgroundMusic (current_file)
End playMusic

It's not really good practise, but if it works it works. Turing does have a few strange issues related to the GUI, this may be one of them. I don't ever use it myself, I prefer making my own buttons with Mouse.Where and draw commands.

Yes, but what if I need to search for all the music files in the folder but I don't know how many music files there are in the folder? After I select the right file, I need to play it. What you did there is static, I can only have 1 music file by current_file, but I need to change the file and play the music, how would I accomplish that?
Nomalah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:14 am   Post subject: Re: Procedure parameter in build-in function (such as GUI.CreateButton)

Before you call the procedure just update the value of the variable.
code:

import GUI
var musicfile:string

process play_current_music(Music_file_tobe_used:string)
Music.PlayFile(Music_file_tobe_used)
end play_current_music

proc playmusic
fork play_current_music(musicfile)
end proc

loop
if correct music then
musicfile:= ChosenFile
end if
end loop

var button : int :=GUI.CreateButton(10,10,50,"hello",playmusic)

loop
exit when GUI.ProcessEvent
end loop

Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: