Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Arithmetic/Geometric - For/Loop
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
hobag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:21 pm   Post subject: Arithmetic/Geometric - For/Loop

Can someone help me? i have a crucial assignment for class and my teacher can't help me/explain. Its about adding, and listing arithmetic and geometric sequences.
If you guys could help that would be awesome.
3 Questions;

b.) Using a for structure, determine the next 5 terms;
4, -6, 9, -13.5, _, _, _, _, _

c.) Using a for structure, find the sum;
-17 -14 -11 _, _, _, _, _

d.) Using a loop structure, find the sum;
3 - 6 +12 - 24 + ...49152 - 98304

im really new to this.
[/b]
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Srlancelot39

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:57 am   Post subject: Re: Arithmetic/Geometric - For/Loop

What have you tried so far? I doubt your teacher would give you this assignment without first teaching how to use for and loop, and if they haven't for whatever reason, there's lots of existing resources and tutorials.

In all three questions, the numbers increment by a calculable amount (plus a small twist for b and d) making a for statement an ideal solution. Do something inside the loop that keeps track of the calculated numbers/sums.
hobag

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:51 pm   Post subject: RE:Arithmetic/Geometric - For/Loop

i figured out question c). (i think)
but how do i do add AND subtract for geometric sequences?
Srlancelot39

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:16 pm   Post subject: RE:Arithmetic/Geometric - For/Loop

Subtraction is really just addition of negative numbers... Wink

There's an operation that can be performed every time to make every other number negative.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: