Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
shams1204

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:54 pm   Post subject: Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

What is it you are trying to achieve?
I am trying to randomize the question pattern in my project. For example I have ten questions and the pattern of how the computer will ask the user the questions will be different.

What is the problem you are having?
<Answer Here>

Describe what you have tried to solve this problem
I tried using the rand but i dont know how to do it with the strings .

Post any relevant code (You may choose to attach the file instead of posting the code if it is too long)
<Answer Here>

Turing:

<Add your code here>

Please specify what version of Turing you are using
<Answer Here> 4.1.1
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:07 am   Post subject: RE:Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

learn about arrays : http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=14333
LolADuck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:00 pm   Post subject: Re: Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

Make an array, put ur question in there and have randint chose a cell in the array randomly. When the question has been answered, the cell is replaced with a filler word where if the filler word is in a cell it will redo the random int and pick another cell (assuming you want each question to only be asked once).
shams1204

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

Okay so I did this and I dont know if i am doing it correctly. Help me with this please. And how do I make the randint choose a cell for once so that it asks the question only once.
This is my code so far:

procedure randomQuestions
randint (randQuestions,1,4)

for x: 1..4
questions (x) := 1
end for

for x: 1..4
if repeatQuestions = randomQuestions (x) then
repeatQuestions := false
end if
end for
end randomQuestions

var repeatQuestions:boolean:=true
var questions: array1..4 of string
var randQuestions:int

these are my variables.
LolADuck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:20 am   Post subject: RE:Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

after you go into that cell and ask the question replace it with a value so that if that value is in the cell that your rand int chooses, it goes back to the rand int line and selects a different cell. Also, im sorry but the code you wrote dosent make any sense to me... it has 6 errors. Neutral
LolADuck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:50 am   Post subject: Re: Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

With the code you gave me this is what i assummed you meant. If not, can i get more detail??
code:
var questions: array 1..10 of string
var asdf:int
for i:1..10
questions(i):="question: "+ intstr(i)
end for
procedure randthing
randint(asdf,1,10)
end randthing
loop
delay(1000)
randthing
if questions(asdf) not= "X" then
put questions(asdf)
questions(asdf):="X"
end if
end loop
shams1204

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:15 am   Post subject: Re: Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

Thank You for the code but its a quiz so I need the question to be displayed once only. The code works, thank you but what should I change in it so that it displays the questions only once. I'll send you my work. My work has a lot other things. Sorry if it bothers you. I also have a lot of things to fix but just look at my thing.

Thematic Personality Game Remastered.t
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Thematic Personality Game Remastered.t
 Filesize:  10.83 KB
 Downloaded:  115 Time(s)

TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:21 pm   Post subject: RE:Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

please take a look at flexible arrays, you want to remove the question after its displayed to avoid duplicates.

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=7390

http://compsci.ca/holtsoft/doc/flexible.html

you should play around with it and understand how it works otherwise you'll have a big headache.

Turing:

%%%%FLEXibLE array is key to victory!!!
var questions : flexible array 0 .. 2 of string

%%should populate via txt file
questions(0) := "A"
questions(1) := "B"
questions(2) := "C"

%%example of how your doing it -> duplicates can happen
for i: 0 .. 2
    put questions(Rand.Int(0,2))
end for
put "----br----" put ""

%%you can use a counter to check if its been posted yet
%% but i wouldn't recommend this way, its wasteful of resources

%%so....

%%how to correctly do it is to
%%remove array elements after its used to avoid duplicates
loop   
    var r : int := Rand.Int(0,upper(questions))
    var question : string := questions(r)
    questions(r) := questions(upper(questions))
    new questions, upper (questions) - 1
    put question
    exit when upper(questions) < 0
end loop
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shams1204

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:53 pm   Post subject: Re: Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

Sorry but we are not allowed to use flexible arrays. Just arrays and randint, not Rand.Int because we still didn't learn it yet.
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:47 am   Post subject: RE:Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

ranint is just a proc so you can still use it just modify it then, and if your not aloud to use flexible arrays just have a counter inside the loop to fine which question was posted to avoid posting it again.
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:55 pm   Post subject: RE:Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

Turing:

var questionsToBePosted : array 0 .. 2 of string
var postedQuestions: array 0 .. 2 of boolean

%%should have questions populate via txt file
questionsToBePosted(0) := "A"
questionsToBePosted(1) := "B"
questionsToBePosted(2) := "C"

%%example of how your doing it -> duplicates can happen
var r : int %%set var for random number cuz ur teachers a meanie
for i: 0 .. 2 %%Normsl turing standards start at 1, however i count 0 as 1
                %%ex 0..9 = 1 .. 10, its more standard you'll find... (least i do)
    randint(r,0,2) %% PROC CHANGE FROM FuncTION rand.int -ask ur teacher tho cuz its better
    put questionsToBePosted(r)
end for
put "----br----" put ""

%%set all questions not posted
for i: lower(postedQuestions) .. upper(postedQuestions)
    postedQuestions(i):= false
end for

var randomQnum: int
loop
    %%dumb way to solve this problem
    for i: lower(questionsToBePosted) .. upper(questionsToBePosted)
        randint(randomQnum,lower(questionsToBePosted),upper(questionsToBePosted))
        if postedQuestions(i) not= true then %% practice != thx
            if randomQnum = i then
                %%set we post this true and post it
                put questionsToBePosted(i)
                %%set question posted
                postedQuestions(i) := true
            end if
        end if
    end for
end loop
%%tell ur teacher you need to learn the why before the how
%% because this method on a large scale is very
%% innoffective, and very poor code, since it can run 100x without hitting
%% and escape, large scale would never fly...

shams1204

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

Um Thank You for helping me with this problem. I finally solved it but I have another Question. In my program I have buttons included and as I have random questions, I cannot say that this is question 1 and this is question 2. How do I do it. I tried this and it kind of works but it doesnt show my GUI Buttons. What should I do.

Code I tried to use for this problem:

% Program User Input
procedure userInput
for x:1..4
title
put "YOU ARE ON QUESTION ",x,"."
randomQuestions
if randQuestion = 1 then
firstQuestion

elsif randQuestion = 2 then
secondQuestion

elsif randQuestion = 3 then
thirdQuestion

elsif randQuestion = 4 then
fourthQuestion

end if
end for
end userInput

My whole project is given Below.

Description:

Download
 Filesize:  16.99 KB
 Downloaded:  131 Time(s)

TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:03 pm   Post subject: RE:Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

i'm not sure what exactly you mean, what is it you wanted to accomplish?

browsing your code is a bit confusing so i'd like to know specifically, to better assist you, thanks.
shams1204

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:20 pm   Post subject: Re: Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

Never mind. I managed to solve the problem by my own. Thank you btw for all the help.

Description:

Download
 Filesize:  16.99 KB
 Downloaded:  114 Time(s)

shams1204

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:38 am   Post subject: Re: Help With Randomizing the sequence of a quiz or anything like a quiz.

I just have one more problem. My program doesn't repeat itself after it the user has answered all the questions. It doesn't randomize either. Actually it stops there. Can u check why this happens. My project is given below. I havent finished it yet. I have done only 13 questions. I need to do 7 more but please help.

Description:

Download
 Filesize:  32.29 KB
 Downloaded:  127 Time(s)

Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: