Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Dividing strings over multiple lines?
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
fiercedeity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:24 pm   Post subject: Dividing strings over multiple lines?

Hello!
I'm just wondering, because I have been able to find anything online, and I wanted to ask the programming world specifically, before giving up:
Is there any way to divide strings over multiple lines in the code itself?
I've been trying to tidy up the code of a game I've been working on, and I've realized that long equations and "Draw" statements can be divided ... well pretty much wherever in the line, but is there a way to divide a line such as:

text := "Hi. This is a really long string, and I want it to be divided so I'm not spanning the entire width of the screen while other lines of code only span a little bit of it."

I'm making a game with lots of dialogue and assigning text to variables is the best way (and the only way, I guess) to use the text using the Font.Draw procedure.

I know I can do the following:

text := "Hi. This is a really long string,"
text := text + "and I want it to be divided" ...

but that just seems pointless, kinda redundant, and more messy than just letting the text span the whole window's width.

So if there's something I can do that I've just simply not realized, then it would be great to know!

If not, well it would be cool if there was a way.

Anyhow, thanks for the replies.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:21 am   Post subject: RE:Dividing strings over multiple lines?

The following will work:
code:
var string := "this is a really long string" +

" and I want it to be divided"

Alternatively, OpenTuring will automatically word wrap for you, with no changes to your code.
fiercedeity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:27 am   Post subject: Re: Dividing strings over multiple lines?

Ohhhhh ...
Thank you!

What a wonderful aha moment you just gave me.

That works perfectly, thanks!
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: