Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Can you have if statements in with GUI buttons?
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Jesse.A

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:34 pm   Post subject: Can you have if statements in with GUI buttons?

What is it you are trying to achieve?
I am trying to use if statements with buttons.

What is the problem you are having?
I realy have no idea how i would go about doing it.

Describe what you have tried to solve this problem
I have messed around a little bit but nothing seems to be working.

Post any relevant code (You may choose to attach the file instead of posting the code if it is too long)

Turing:

import GUI
var button1, button2, button3 : int
var x : string
forward procedure display

procedure menu
    button1 := GUI.CreateButton (150, 200, 0, "Button1", display)
    button2 := GUI.CreateButton (250, 200, 0, "Button2", display)
    button3 := GUI.CreateButton (350, 200, 0, "Quit", GUI.Quit)

loop
    if button1 = 1 and GUI.ProcessEvent then
    x := "1"
    exit
    elsif button2 = 1 and GUI.ProcessEvent then
        x := "2"
        end if
        end loop
end menu

body procedure display
         put "You pressed button" +x
end display
%main
menu
display

Please specify what version of Turing you are using
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Can you have if statements in with GUI buttons?

Instead of using an if statement, have your display procedure take x as a parameter and pass it on your button lines.

code:
button1 := GUI.CreatButton (150, 200, 0, "Button1", display(1))
Zren

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:14 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Can you have if statements in with GUI buttons?

Insectoid @ Sun May 25, 2014 4:01 pm wrote:
Instead of using an if statement, have your display procedure take x as a parameter and pass it on your button lines.

code:
button1 := GUI.CreatButton (150, 200, 0, "Button1", display(1))

That doesn't work. Turing doesn't support lambdas, so you can't make simple callbacks like that.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:31 am   Post subject: RE:Can you have if statements in with GUI buttons?

That's not lambda (in a way of anonymous function definition). The display is assumed to be already defined, and here it's referenced with an argument. I'm pretty sure that this works, although in a non-documented way.

Oddly enough, there's GUI.GetEventWidgetID, which could be used to distinguish between different widgets calling the same procedure.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Jesse.A

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Can you have if statements in with GUI buttons?

Thank you very much!
Zren

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:56 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Can you have if statements in with GUI buttons?

Tony @ Mon May 26, 2014 2:31 am wrote:
That's not lambda (in a way of anonymous function definition). The display is assumed to be already defined, and here it's referenced with an argument. I'm pretty sure that this works, although in a non-documented way.

Oddly enough, there's GUI.GetEventWidgetID, which could be used to distinguish between different widgets calling the same procedure.

So wait, calling a procedure with arguments returns a value? That value being a new procedure without parameters? What version of Turing supports this?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:48 pm   Post subject: RE:Can you have if statements in with GUI buttons?

I don't remember this well, you might be right -- an argumented procedure might been to return a procedure without parameters. Turing does support procedures as types -- see subprogramType
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: