Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Thoughts On UofR and UofS CS
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
SumTingWong

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:10 pm   Post subject: Thoughts On UofR and UofS CS

I'm currently in gr. 11 so I still have awhile to decide, but does anybody have experience with these courses? I can't seem to find any reviews online.
The reason I am considering these over UofW, UofT, and other well known schools is because I currently have an avg in the low 80s and I'm not sure if I will be able to keep it there next year, plus these are alot closer to me.
I'm currently leaning more towards Regina.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Thoughts On UofR and UofS CS

It's important to have reasonable expectations, but it's also not that much of a stretch to get yourself into mid to high 80s. For the most part, your school marks are a function of the amount of effort you put into school. Use the remainder of your grade 11 to critically examine where you are losing marks (trouble remembering terms? not enough deep understanding of the subject? procrastinating with assignments?) -- there are techniques to address most of those areas. Then rock grade 12. It will take effort, but putting in that effort quickly places you into the tier above the hordes of students that would rather just get by.

I don't have an opinion on UofR, UofS though. When it comes to CS in Canada, the industry's perspective is: UW and UofT. UBC is kind of close to the west coast, so that's okay. And then there's everything else.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
SumTingWong

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Thoughts On UofR and UofS CS

So the industry doesn't really care about education, unless you have one of those names on your resume? :/
SumTingWong

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:54 pm   Post subject: RE:Thoughts On UofR and UofS CS

Also, why is chemistry something needed for admission into these cs courses? I don't see how it's related at all
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:20 am   Post subject: RE:Thoughts On UofR and UofS CS

Industry cares that you have _an_ education, but they would prefer a brand name education that they've heard about. At the end it still comes down to your stills; UW/UofT simply make it easier to get someone to listen to what you have to say.

re: Chemistry -- http://compsci.ca/blog/chemistry-for-software-engineers/
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
SumTingWong

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:23 am   Post subject: RE:Thoughts On UofR and UofS CS

What are the requirements to get into UBC's CS? I can't find them anywhere on their site
Clayton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:09 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Thoughts On UofR and UofS CS

SumTingWong @ Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:23 am wrote:
What are the requirements to get into UBC's CS? I can't find them anywhere on their site

While I can't find them specifically, they should roughly be the same as most other universities. This may depend on whether you choose their BA or BSc flavor of the degree however. Generally though, look at Grade 12 English, Math, and a Science (Chem usually, maybe Physics). Aside from that, I'd suggest calling their Academic Advisor's office (there should be a number on their site somewhere), and talking to someone there who can help you out.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: