Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 plz give comments, advice for my final project, an RTS game!
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
DanShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:28 pm   Post subject: plz give comments, advice for my final project, an RTS game!

For my grade 11 final project in Computer Science, I was going to do a text based RPG. I gave up on this because the code for my original text RPG, (the first I ever made) was stolen by two of my rivals in class. (Somehow they hacked the school network, accessed my file, and sent it to their e-mails... grr) Well, now I have decided to take it upon myself to complete a Real Time Strategy, Fantasy Game in 3-4 weeks. Smile I'll include a file showing some basic movement stuff I did a month ago, (and forgot about) It's kinda glitchy, but overall, it gives the idea on how I will do the game. Please give comments, and/or advice for my project, I would really appreciate it. Wink
Thanks!

[PS] I know, sorry about the flickering, but the code for 'this' RTS test is only based for one unit moving, so its looped. If I put:
setscreen("offscreenonly")
View.Update
It wont show the graphic of the unit moving, only when it finishes movin g
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well 1st there are some isuses with whatdotcolor in this (i think thats what you are using for the closione dection) you can walk thougth walls and go thorw stuff witch some times can mess up the game. may be you should make it so once mouse is right cliked it stops taking input till it is at it's location? b/c that whould also fix it.

alougth i realy like your movement system. your game is good pentale to be somting gr8.

i highly remamned a new way to doing clocion dection, may be even using wahtdotcolor to scan the screen and make an array of places you cant go b4 you start playing? but using wahtdotcolor has some isuses, epstaly when you got flashing going on
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
McKenzie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dan I agree with your general mistrust of whatdotcolour. It starts off as your friend then bites you in the butt later on. I notice that you seem to think that if the graphics are flickering the whatdotcolour might grab the wrong colour. This will never happen. When you mentioned(in a different post) that Turing, by default, draws to the screen that was mostly true. Turing always draws to memory. By default it is writing to the same area of memory ("page") that the video card is reading from. The whatdotcolour reads from memory. It does not look at the actual screen. As such the whatdotcolur will always be "in-synch" with the rest of your program. The monitor will flicker like made because the scan line is not in synch with the program. Here is an example:
code:
%message will never show
for i : 1.. 500000
    drawfillbox(50,50,100,100,4)
    if whatdotcolour(70,70) = 0 then
        put "OOPS Why is that White?"
    end if
    drawfillbox(50,50,100,100,0)
end for

With that said, Shadow, your game is looking good, and despite me comming to the defence of whatdotcolour, I have to suggest dropping it also. If you realy want to keep it I would suggest checking more dots around your figure.
DanShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:20 pm   Post subject: k

Well, I remodelled everything. Now, there is NO flashing, and when the unit moves, he moves diagonal until he has either reached the x or y destination, then he moves the rest of the x or y (whatever is unfinished)
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

a better way would be to go straightp to the destanation. Such as take the difference in currentX and destanationX and divide that by the number of moves it will take the unit to get there (for that you divide total length by the length moved per turn). Very Happy
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ah ic, i stand corected about the flashing. proby becuase i almost never uses it Rolling Eyes

but there is somting realy wrong with colosion dection in there:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

i could be wrong but i did not think you where sposted to be in the blue stuff. Razz

also you can easly go thogth black stuff at top and take parts out of it

untitled.JPG
 Description:
:p
 Filesize:  20.29 KB
 Viewed:  6053 Time(s)

untitled.JPG

Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
DanShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:42 pm   Post subject: hm

Well, the 'blue stuff' is supposed to be water, and as I said, there isnt much too that code...I remodelled it. I think Im gonna change the project from RTS to fully graphical RPG....sumthin like Diablo, but with crappy Draw.Line graphics, heh.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: