Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Need a turing game
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
amateur

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:45 am   Post subject: Need a turing game

I need to make a game that is not tooo complex and not too simple and can be updated for my computer programming class. But first of all i need to start at 20 lines of code. It need to be updated like 3 or 4 times and I would really appreciate it if someone could post a game like the one i am searhing for. It doesnt matter what kind of game it is, just dont make it too complex or too simple
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Zren

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Need a turing game

BlackJack, Pong, Dice Games, Asteroids. Whatever game you think as retro, can probably be done with little code (No offence to retro games).
apomb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Need a turing game

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=1022
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:49 pm   Post subject: RE:Need a turing game

Here's a whole range of them, grouped by difficulty -- http://compsci.ca/blog/12-computer-science-game-project-ideas/
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
amateur

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:47 am   Post subject: RE:Need a turing game

What i needed was an actual game but this okay too. I have find that minesweeper is easiest one to make and I'll also learn how to make it because there is tutorial on how to make the entire game:D Now I'll start using the minesweeper tutorial to make a minesweeper game. But the thing is will my teacher give me a bad mark because I have used the codes of minesweeper from the internet?
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:06 am   Post subject: RE:Need a turing game

Using code from any of the tutorials, verbatim, is a violation of basic academic integrity and would likely result in a mark of 0, or perhaps even -100%, depending on your school's policy. Feel free to follow my minesweeper tutorial, but you'll need to customize it and expand upon it to have an assignment worthy of marks. Consider adding a timer that counts down to zero, a scoreboard, animations...really, it's pretty basic right now so there's lots of room for improvement.

The tutorial also wasn't meant to illustrate how to make minesweeper, it was meant to illustrate how to develop (simple) games.
amateur

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:20 am   Post subject: RE:Need a turing game

Ok, but i am still an amateur at turing because my teacher is always talking about complex stuff, and I find your minesweeper tutorial really good DemonWasp but it is still a bit too complex even though you explain all the codes and that is what my teacher wants, to explain all the codes. I started thinking that it didnt have so many codes in it but it is getting bigger and bigger, could you possibly happen to know another turing game tutorial with less codes and that explains all the codes and a simple one at that???

I know i am demanding a lot but i would really like it if someone helped me
apomb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:43 am   Post subject: RE:Need a turing game

No one is going to write a game for you. We can give you ideas, and help when you get stuck, but we will not just supply you with a full game.

The links that Tony and I have provided give much discussion, many ideas and great examples to get you started.

When you have a basic idea of what you want to achieve, we will be glad to help explain concepts and such.

good luck
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:47 am   Post subject: RE:Need a turing game

That's the nature of code. As you add more and more features to your program, you will end up with increasing amounts of code. There's a lot that can be said about keeping code simple and minimalistic to help slow the growth of code, but I won't get into that now.

Regardless, the teacher wants YOU to explain YOUR code, not for your to find someone else who has explained their code. If anything, my tutorial should be used more for a style guide than for the code in it. Look at what I've commented and how I've explained it: if something isn't immediately obvious (such as how an algorithm works, or what a variable is for) then it has a comment. In my explanations, I tend to use analogies to more familiar situations to help rationalize the instructions I'm giving to the computer. Try to think of how you can do that in your own code.
Superskull85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:59 am   Post subject: Re: Need a turing game

For commenting code I really like the model that is used in the "How to Design Programs" book. What it breaks down to is the following:

-Think of what you want to do with your program (general idea), and write the purpose down.

-Think of example of what you want to do (previous games maybe), and write the example out in plain words

-Figure out how you could create this program by breaking down your general ideas into more specific parts (a game would typically need players/enemies, scores, timer, levels, etc.)

-Take each element and describe the purpose, an example of this element (for a level you could describe a level in a similar game) and figure out how you can create this element by breaking it down into even smaller pieces.

-Repeat this process until you have broken down your program into many pieces that can be easily created.

If you do this than you have already created your comments, now you just have to write the code for those comments. This is known as the "top-down" approach to designing programs.
amateur

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:10 am   Post subject: RE:Need a turing game

Then could you guys just give a code so that I can progress the game from that code. here is my ideo of a game ; a game where randomly a sprite of something like pacman with a size of something like this >>>>>
___
l- -l
l_l
and it pops out to the screen suddenly and you try to catch it within the screen.

Now i just need a code that i can progress from and i would really appreciate any help.
Zren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:14 am   Post subject: RE:Need a turing game

First you need to make your sprite appear on the screen, it doesn't have to be super fancy right now, you can add to it later. Then have it move.
amateur

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Need a turing game

then lets say xx is the sprite and i can make it appear by using pic.load but how do i make it move??
TheGuardian001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:16 pm   Post subject: Re: Need a turing game

You can make it move the same way you make anything else move. When you draw an image, you tell Turing the x and y coordinates to draw it at. Just change these coordinates each time you draw the image and it will move.
amateur

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:17 pm   Post subject: RE:Need a turing game

I dont want to change the coordinates to make it move i want it to move on its on randomly without getting out of the screen
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 18 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: