Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Help needed with snake game
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
kytes

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:26 am   Post subject: Help needed with snake game

i have this much of the game so far...im having trouble with the snake eating the apple and then the apple coming up in a new spot. if someone could please tell me how to do this, i would greatly appreciate it. just reply with the new code that will work with my program. thanks alot

ps. the apple code is between the lines of stars

const LEFT_ARROW := chr (203)
const RIGHT_ARROW := chr (205)
const UP_ARROW := chr (200)
const DOWN_ARROW := chr (208)

var BLOCKER_ROW := 12
var ss1, ss2 : int
var Blocker_Column := 38
var Key : string (1)
var x2, y2 : int
var x1, y1 : int
var diff : int
var U, R, L, D : int := 0
var arrows : array char of boolean
ss1 := 20
ss2 := 20
x2 := ss1
y2 := ss2
colourback (green)
setscreen ("graphics:600;400")
setscreen ("nocursor")
randint (x1, 1, maxx - 10)
randint (y1, 1, maxy - 10)

loop

drawfillbox (x2, y2, x2 + 10, y2 + 10, white)
drawfillbox (ss1, ss2, ss1 + 10, ss2 + 10, black)

x2 := ss1
y2 := ss2
delay (50)
Input.KeyDown (arrows)
locate (BLOCKER_ROW, Blocker_Column)
if arrows (KEY_RIGHT_ARROW) then
L := 0
D := 0
R := 1
U := 0
elsif arrows (KEY_LEFT_ARROW) then
L := 1
R := 0
elsif arrows (KEY_DOWN_ARROW) then
D := 1
elsif arrows (KEY_UP_ARROW) then
U := 1
end if

if U = 1 then
ss2 := ss2 + 10
elsif R = 1 then
ss1 := ss1 + 10
elsif D = 1 then
ss2 := ss2 - 10
elsif L = 1 then
ss1 := ss1 - 10

end if

if ss1 >= maxx - 10 then
exit
elsif ss1 < 1 then
exit
elsif ss2 >= maxy - 10 then
exit
elsif ss2 < 1 then
exit
end if
%*************************************
drawfillbox (x1, y1, x1+10, y1+10, red)
for i : 1..10
if ss1 + i = x1 then
drawfillbox (x1, y1, x1+10, y1+10, white)
elsif ss2 + i = y1 then
end if
end for
%***************************************

end loop

cls
locate (12, 35)
put "GAME OVER"
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
josh_65665

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:41 pm   Post subject: try this

give this a try

code:

if  ss1 > x1-10 and ss1 < x1+10 and ss2 >y1-10 and ss2 <y1+10 then
x1 := Rand.Int (1,maxx)
y1 := Rand.Int (1,maxy)
end if
Zampano

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:28 pm   Post subject: Re: Help needed with snake game

You may want to note that the setup with the L,D,R,U variables is just a proxy. When a button is pressed, these variables are modified, only to modify ss1 and ss2 later, creating a redundancy. Try eliminating the middleman, and place the modification of ss1 and ss2 right under the conditions with the constant chars.

Note also that you have unused variables, a locate procedure with no text to right, several logical flaws (if and elsif which do the same thing), and many inconsistencies in your variable names . . .

Also, note that you are recommended to not use randint (int, int lit, int lit), but rather int Rand.Int (int lit, int lit).
Tony

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Help needed with snake game

@Zampano - well a common element of a snake game is that the snake keeps on going even if no keys are pressed (otherwise on the 2nd frame the Input.KeyDown will set the entire keymap to false and the snake would stop).

@kytes
code:

This seems like a problem.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Asherel

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Help needed with snake game

Alright, since I saw your post in your old thread, while I was answering it was taken down.

However, I luckly remember your question Wink

code:

drawfillbox (ss1, ss2, ss1 + 10, ss2 + 10, black)

This is your snake. To make it grow, you will need to manipulate the ss1 + 10 variable by adding an increment of some number. This will cause your snake to grow length wise, but remain the same height.

To do this you need an if statement to check to see if it collides, the have it increase the ss1 + 10 by a certain amount.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Help needed with snake game

don't bother. kytes' been bluntly disregarding the forum rules and landed himself a "banned" status.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Asherel

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:48 pm   Post subject: Re: Help needed with snake game

Oh, alright. Doh!

Posted it before I knew of his banned status. My mistake.
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:27 am   Post subject: Re: Help needed with snake game

IT is not that hard to respawn apples. All you need to do is make coordinates for your snake's head - x and y corrdinates. If the user presses a key then the coordinates change and the picture is drawn on those new coordinates. If the snake position is the same as the apple position, then the apple dissapears, score = score + 1 and a new apple is drawn at rand.int (1, 600), rand.int (1, 400).
I think thats all.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:37 pm   Post subject: Re: Help needed with snake game

woops! didn't see the ban sign
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: