Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Importing GIF Pictures
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TripleBla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:27 pm   Post subject: Importing GIF Pictures

Hey Compsci,

Currently writing a program that requires the importing of GIF images. I know Turing versions < 4.0.4c do not support importing GIFs, because the patent on the algorithm was still in use or whatever. Apparently 4.0.5 has support for GIF, but I cannot find 4.0.5 anywhere. My school has a license, but the only distributable copy is 4.0.4. I have been completely unable to find 4.0.5 anywhere on the internet, if any of you happen to have it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Peace out!

Canada
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Clayton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Importing GIF Pictures

Unfortunately, 4.0.5 does not support GIF images. And even if it did, we cannot tell you where to download Turing. That also means we can't give it to you either.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Importing GIF Pictures

We can't really do that.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Importing GIF Pictures

so basicly u are asking for an illegal copy of software
TripleBla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:54 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Importing GIF Pictures

momop @ Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:45 pm wrote:
so basicly u are asking for an illegal copy of software

Asking for an illegal copy of software, that my school has already paid 400$ for a re-distributable license? No.

Thanks for answering my question, I had actually thought Holt Software would update Pic.FileNew with GIF funcitonality as soon as the patent expired. I was wrong, seems they will sit dormant for a while longer.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:59 pm   Post subject: RE:Importing GIF Pictures

I think I saw .gif supported somewhere... Turing 4.1? maybe.

How is it that a school has a redistribution license, but not the software itself.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
TripleBla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:05 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Importing GIF Pictures

Tony @ Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:59 pm wrote:
How is it that a school has a redistribution license, but not the software itself.

I'm not one to be answering a question like this, I don't work for the school board, or Holt Software.

But considering Holt Software hasn't updated their website in almost four years, and have not released any updates in nearly as long. I suppose the link between my school and Holt's new software is severed somewhere. My school's most current up-to-date Turing version is 4.0.3...
Clayton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Importing GIF Pictures

Yes, I meant to mention this in my post, Turing 4.1 does support GIFs, both animated and not.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
octopi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:17 pm   Post subject: Re: Importing GIF Pictures

you could always just convert the gif image into another format that turing will support.

if its an animated gif then you can export the single frames to file (non gif filetype), and then make a turing procedure that will play the annimation.
TripleBla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Importing GIF Pictures

Holt Software and the Ontario Board of Education sealed a huge financial deal a few years ago.

All Ontario schools are allowed to install and distribute (to students) the most up-to-date Turing install available.

I fall under the student category, though my school is unavailable to provide me with the latest copy.

I am asking for help in the furthering of my education, by finding and installing tools which are supposed to be supplied by my school.

Honestly, if you still think this is sharing warez, I think you need to look a little further.
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:40 pm   Post subject: Re: Importing GIF Pictures

TripleBla @ Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:18 pm wrote:
Holt Software and the Ontario Board of Education sealed a huge financial deal a few years ago.

there u go Dan holtsoftware lives
Clayton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:42 pm   Post subject: Re: Importing GIF Pictures

momop @ Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:40 pm wrote:

there u go Dan holtsoftware lives

Not quite. Wink

Also, while your school has the license to redistribute, we don't. End of story.
TripleBla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:03 pm   Post subject: RE:Importing GIF Pictures

I completely respect this board's policy not to redistribute, or even link to "illegal softwares!"

I just think you're taking it a little bit too far.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:27 pm   Post subject: RE:Importing GIF Pictures

This _is_ getting a bit too far. I'd love to help out, but we just can't. There's an OpenT project -- things will be different once that is complete Wink
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:37 pm   Post subject: Re: Importing GIF Pictures

All Ontario schools are allowed to install and distribute (to students) the most up-to-date Turing install available.

How about that part? CompSci.ca has made no such deal with Holtsoft.

I don't speak for either party, but I'm pretty sure Holtsoft doesn't want to associate with CompSci.ca. Perhaps because so many people hate Turing. These statements are based solely on my own opinions and do not reflect those of CompSci.ca and Rick Moranis.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 33 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: