Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 software engineering and chemistry
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:16 pm   Post subject: software engineering and chemistry

so for software engineering at Waterloo, chemistry is a prerequisite.
what does chemistry have to do with software engineering at all?
I'm thinking about going into software engineering however I really don't like chem, and I can hardly see where it would be useful unless you become very specific and are doing work for a computer that specializes in something with chem
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:41 pm   Post subject: RE:software engineering and chemistry

It's a science course that's a better fit than say Biology.

Besides, I think that Chemistry is a required course for Waterloo Engineering, so you'd have to take a 1st year course in that anyways - it's easier with some highschool background.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:40 pm   Post subject: RE:software engineering and chemistry

Go to any major university and see if it's any different. Last I checked, basics like bio and chemistry are a prerequisite for any type of science degree.

Though admittedly some may let one opt out of bio for something as non-biological as computer science.

They're checking to see if you can handle the basic rigors of scientific process.
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:06 pm   Post subject: RE:software engineering and chemistry

it's just for their engineering, the required courses are 2 maths, english, physics, and chem ... that's a lot of required courses. I can see how physics relates, but does chem relate at all? because next year I have to take chemistry instead of computer engineering (they run at the same time slot) to get into software engineering ... which I personally think is rather ironic.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:55 pm   Post subject: RE:software engineering and chemistry

Maybe so. Contact Waterloo and see ask them if they'd rather you take chemistry or computer engineering. Maybe they'll make an exception.

If not, you'll probably just have to suck it up.
Skynet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:05 pm   Post subject: Re: software engineering and chemistry

Chem is a prerequisite because UW SE students take CHE 102 (Chemistry for Engineers) in their 1B term. Though half of the CHE 102 course is pretty much a review of the 12U Chem course, the CEAB (Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board) doesn't trust highschools to teach it properly, and they require a certain amount of study in "Basic Sciences" for graduates of a program to be eligible for their Professional Engineer designation.
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:15 pm   Post subject: RE:software engineering and chemistry

but how does chem actually relate to software engineering? like ... what part of software engineering involves chemistry? (besides the scientific process ... which I thought you could get from physics)
rdrake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:10 pm   Post subject: RE:software engineering and chemistry

It doesn't have to relate. They just want you to have a general year of science.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:31 pm   Post subject: RE:software engineering and chemistry

but physics is science - and physics is already a prerequisite - why would they want chem too?
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:33 pm   Post subject: RE:software engineering and chemistry

Being a well-rounded person is a Good Thing (tm).
Skynet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:59 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:software engineering and chemistry

iluvchairs112 @ Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:15 pm wrote:
but how does chem actually relate to software engineering? like ... what part of software engineering involves chemistry? (besides the scientific process ... which I thought you could get from physics)

The question is more "what part of engineering involves chemistry". Software engineering is more than just teaching you how to design and implement complex pieces of software; it also includes significant training in the practice of engineering itself. By nature, an engineer is a person who understands how the world works. True, there isn't much depth in a 1st year chem course, but what matters is the foundation - that you'll be trained in the basics so that if you need to, you can expand your knowledge from the base that's been laid down.

Fun fact: A Software Engineering graduate can take their Professional Engineering exams. On passing, they receive a stamp, traditionally used to certify drawings. There is no difference between the stamp of a SE and the stamp of a Civil Engineer. Technically, it would be legal for any Software Engineer with their P.Eng to certify a bridge for construction.

If you want the clear bureaucratic layout of why you take Chem & Phys 12...

1) The CEAB has said that without a foundation in "Basic Sciences", a program cannot produce individuals with the theoretical knowledge to become Professional Engineers
2) UW has decided that all of its engineering programs (with the exception of Systems Design, but that's another story) will be set up so that every graduate will be qualify for their P.Eng.
3) UW decides that every 1st year engineer will take introductory chemistry and physics courses to fulfill this requirement (One course isn't enough)
4) Without some sort of preliminary study in the topics, the 1st year courses would not be able to cover enough to satisfy the CEAB. Thus, UW decides that every prospective engineer must have chem and physics before they'll let them in

And (looking more at the SE course sequencing) where it'll help you in your specific courses:
Without chem, how can the school be sure that you know what things like elements, charges, molecules, and chemical reactions are? Charges in particular are important. I know the course on Electricity & Magnetism (ECE 126) draws heavily from there. As well, you're required to take a certain amount of ECE courses, and you may choose to take more. Without understanding how electricity works, low level courses which go down to the gate level will be a problem.
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:03 pm   Post subject: RE:software engineering and chemistry

so if they don't trust high schools to teach it properly and they'll just reteach it in university then why would we need to take it in high school?
Ultrahex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:41 pm   Post subject: Re: software engineering and chemistry

Its the question of what is High school really there for, you can make it appear as a step to figuring out what you want to do with your life, experiencing new things allowing you to explore different fields, see what you like and don't like! its not so much about the marks in Highschool, until you know what you want to go into which is chosen in grade 11/12. They will re-teach in University, however they go through the concepts a lot faster which will be a struggle for some, and other students not so much. Some people were not paying much attention in Highschool also remeber.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:27 pm   Post subject: RE:software engineering and chemistry

Mostly a summary of this thread, in a blog digest form. Enjoy.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: