Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Turing Assistance
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Archi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:07 am   Post subject: Turing Assistance

I've used Turing for a few years, but Its the 1997 Turing 8.0 version that I use. I'm attempting to make a game which I'll hopefully put online and somehow convert it to php or something. What I am wondering, is if the newer versions (if any) have the ability to be converted for web use?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
krishon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well u could make the program and upload an .exe file..there's a post on how u can convert the thing to an exe file
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

heh, making it php wouldn't work very well, not unless it's like a text based rpg or something like that... php is processed server side, not client side... so that means that it's processed before the page is displayed and therefore it's not in real time... you'd probably be better off making it flash or a java applet if you were going to make it available to play online
Archi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well i was thinknig of making it a web-based game. Kinda like Droidarena, or Utopia or something..So I'm not sure making it an .exe would be the best idea because it wouldn't allow 2 ppl to fight each other.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh, if it's something like Utopia then yeah php would work... although I am not sure why you would have written it in Turing... I can understand maybe writing certain algorithms, like for calculations or something like that in Turing, to test them.

I think that if you want to make a game like Utopia, you should learn PHP and mySQL
Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you should write it in a web language... but turing does come with a Net module (i used it and it isnt really all that great)... if you want net games, use C++ or something like that
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if u are trying to make a game to put on your website... JAVA is the program to use... macromedia flash can also make online games...
but if yer trying to make a normal game with multiplayer mod u can use turing 4.x.x if u want
Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Homer_simpson wrote:
but if yer trying to make a normal game with multiplayer mod u can use turing 4.x.x if u want

why? when you have c++ at your disposal, if you can do turing you should have no problem learning c++... especially when the net module in turing 4.x.x shouldnt be consitered a net module...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well.. this guy sounds like a newb so i thought maybe he should learn the easy stuff first... but if he's not a newb i'd still suggest that you use java for networking programming.... it's the best program for making multiplayer games...
Archi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm not a newb. SO please don't make that assumption. I've just used the older versions of turing as I was unaware of newer versions. Also, I've got 4 years to learn php or w/e for my game. So i thought, may as well make it in Turing and then during University transfer it to php or something.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sorry i didn't mean to offend u... and i didn't mean the you are a newb to programming... i meant you are new to the concept of using network and internet in your programs... that's all...=/
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't think it would make much sense to do it in turing then transfer it to PHP... especially because the way the two languages work is so different... and why would you want to program the same thing twice instead of just doing it the way it will be int he end the first time :/
Archi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Because I enjoy programming, and I'm bound to find someone in univeristy that codes in php. So although PHP and Turing are different, the concept of what you want done is the same. SO why not have a working game ot base a creation from. And its not going to be multiplayer like you people think. Its gonna be tick based almost.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

maybe you can make a program like turing on turing: have its on syntax but compiles in another
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think the best option here would be to use C++ to write CGI modules... Razz
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: