Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How Do I Email .txt Files?
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

vahnx wrote:
I don't think you can send emails through Turing, if so, why doesn't anyone post some code up that does it.

A) I think you can.
B) If someone is interested in doing this, they will. Realize that it takes some time to help you with this, because most of us haven't dabbled with the SMTP protocol ourselves. You're the first to do this with Turing. You're a pioneer.

Well, you're not a pioneer yet. You haven't done it yet. So get that brain cracking. Do it yourself and you'll have something to be proud of.

Don't be afraid to look for resources other than wikipedia. Don't be afraid to look at code in other languages.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

vahnx wrote:
So far no one has helped me at all. I read the article and it makes no sense. I am partially computer illerterate. So that SMPT thing makes NO SENSE to me at all. I don't think you can send emails through Turing, if so, why doesn't anyone post some code up that does it. Trust me, I will not learn by people giving me small hints such as reading up on SMPT, cause I have no clue what the article is talking about.

did you try google? I searched for this:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B2GGGL_enCA177&q=gmail+smtp+server

and I got this:
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/email-apps/how-to-use-gmail-as-your-smtp-server-111166.php

also this:
http://www.digg.com/tech_news/How_to_use_Gmail_as_your_SMTP_server
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

/me sighs but refrains from contradicting Cervantes.

vahnx, you send it the client parts of a "conversation" between SMTP client and server. As shown in the dialogue in that Wikipedia article, you have to follow the protocol and send the right messages. You can get a lot more from that article than what the acronym stands for...

And I will tell you for the fourth time, you will not be connecting the gmail.com as per:
code:
var stream := Net.OpenConnection ("www.gmail.com", 25)

You will be connecting to the Google smtp server.

To recieve more help, show me that you can actually learn something without it being handed right to you, and ask specific questions.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Vahnx, the second link I sent you also stated it that the smtp server of google is:

Quote:
smtp.google.com
Just look it out

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ok I'll try this later. So I look at your second link and I should find out how. Cool. I'll check it out!
Reals

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I dont think this will work, becuase dont you have do have a secure connection TLS ?!?! I tried to do it in Telnet with my ISP and thats what they told me. I'm sure if i can get it to work in Telnet i could write a program in Turing to do it for me. Any Idea's?
Reals

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Kinda confused here, this web site says my ISP blocks port 25?!?!? https://desk.lunarpages.com/faq.php?do=article&articleid=248
Reals

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1 More thing, Dont you have to login with a user name and password somewhere when using telnet for smtp?!?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Reals

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok through some more research i got my program to connect to the smtp server, login with base64 encoded, it tells the smtp server who it's from and who to send it to. after that it tells me to write the body of the e-mail, i put in a messgae and i get an error after i'm done, the smtp server giving me a link and on the web site it says the problem is that i'm sending bare LF. and it needs to be in crlf format. How can i fix this?

This is the link it gave me http://cr.yp.to/docs/smtplf.html

Thanks
r.3volved

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Try this then...

1. Telnet into an smtp service running from wherever you can find one. (most server admins don't lock this off, so you should be able to find an open one in your first google search)

2. Start messing with commands. Apply the knowledge you gained from reading the above postings about protocol and start sending mail to yourself.
Just as the dialogue that was posted earlier, do it in telnet using either the windows telnet client or putty (using RAW formatting)

3. Once you figure out how to successfully send mail via smtp over telnet then you simply have to design your application to automate everything you did by hand.

You don't know enough about the problem yet to design a successful solution.
Reals

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It works for me tho telnet, just not in my program for some reason, it has to be in ASCII text or something (MiME).
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Once you figure out what <cr><lf> means, it's as simple as adding two characters to your code. Smile
Note: The solution is the same is most languages, it's not Turing specific.
Reals

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

umm <CR> is Carriage Return and <LF> is Line Feed, i understand that now, looks like it used for printers. umm but i still have no idea how to use this, i need an example. do you type it like this "cheese"<CR>.<LF>" ??
r.3volved

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I haven't used turing since I learned a real language, but read an ascii chart and find out the ascii code for both cr and lf
You should have an ascii chart bookmarked in your browser if you're a coder...otherwise copy it into a text file somewhere

...otherwise, most languages allow you to append \r\n to your string variable for carriage return and linefeed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:33 am   Post subject: (No subject)

What the hell are you guys all talking about? Does this stuff have anything to do using Turing to send a simple message to an email?
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 5  [ 64 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: