Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 auto?
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Az

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:56 pm   Post subject: auto?

ok uh i was just wondering how you make programs that would do things for you, like start up a game and run around or do some stuff for like 5 min Surprised just thought it would be neat to know how to make that stuff. any tips would be nice, thank you.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Step 1: Write your program.
Step 2: Determine your OS.
Step 3: If your OS is Windows, place the executable of your program in the startup folder. If your OS is something else, please specify.
Albrecd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

There is no template for making games in turing.
chrispminis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No, I think he's talking about making a Turing Bot. Say open a game like Diablo 2 and then get it to train for you. Not the most honest program but I think that's what he wants to know how to do. Am i right?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If that is the case, what he is trying to do is impossible. Turing works in the Turing window and does not affect the rest of the computer. You can't "move the mouse" using Turing, only move what Turing thinks is the mouse x and y coordinates. Something more suited for this purpose would be a macro.
ste_louis26

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't believe you can do much of anything in Turing which is why most schools use it to introduce students to programing.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Perhaps Az would rephrase his question so we don't have several unique interpretations of it.

ste_louis26: That is a terrible reason for using Turing to teach introductory programming. Plus the first part of your statement is false: There's plenty you can do in Turing.
ecliptical

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think perhaps ste_louis26 meant that you couldn't do much in regards to directly accessing hardware and such which could be a serious security risk for schools .... however turing CAN cause OS crashes and other nasty things.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Geminias

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol cause OS crashes and other nasty things? that's a lamers attitude toward programming if you ask me. personally i'd perfer if no programming language could do nasty things.

and to cervantes: i hear you defending turing a lot. i understand that turing can be used for a variety of things but wouldn't you agree that turing is the absolute worse programming language in regard to power and efficiency?

turing IS only an introduction to programming. it is not a programming language in the sense that any incredible apps can be programmed in it. i mean, if you knew python and VB, or C#, you would be better off programming any windows app with these languages. Turing is not a higher level programming language... I wish it was but unfortunately it lacks the versatility to be considered so. It was designed to educate, not to program.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:20 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Geminias wrote:
and to cervantes: i hear you defending turing a lot. i understand that turing can be used for a variety of things but wouldn't you agree that turing is the absolute worse programming language in regard to power and efficiency?

Of course not. Turing beats Brainf*ck anyday. Wink

Note that I never said Turing was good; I just said there is lots that can be done in Turing.

In my opinion, it does a decent job at teaching the basics of programming. I feel that once students learn about a decent amount of Turing, it should be swapped for a better language, like Ruby.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol... Cervantes, looks like they didnt my thread in the off-topic forum. hehehe
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Apparently I didn't either. What's going on?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

This? Confused

And I agree with Cervantes. Turing is not a great langauge by any means, but it's not useless either. You can do a whole lot with Turing, especially something like learning how to program with no experience at all. There may be better langauges suited for this, but that does not make the statement false.

It also seems odd to me that people are always mentioning how Turing is bad because of it's "lack of power and efficiency". Well then I ask, why do you need so much power and efficiency? What is it that Turing cannot do? Oh yes, Turing isn't suited for some full 3d game, but are you going to be making that game anyways? Are you really prepared to be making full windows gui applications? If you start something like C++, do you really think you will be writing these kinds of applications any time soon? Of course, this is assuming that like most you are considering learning some C-type language next. This is not the case if you are thinking about switching to something like python, pascal, or ruby.
ecliptical

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Turing never claimed to be as powerful or effecient as other languages it's a teaching language at which it is very powerful and effecient more so then ANY other language.
Geminias

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i dont get how you can be agreeing with Cervantes and not with me. I said the exact same thing. Turing is designed to teach, it is not powerful or efficient for large applications.

i think its important to realize that if you spend too much time learning turing you are more less being redundant in your teaching method. sure, if you start learning a more powerful language you wont be able to utilize its power for some time... but nevertheless the longer you wait to learn it the longer it will be before you can utilize it.

turing has been good to me, but i am 18 years old and already late to discover that i love to program, so i feel turing is not the right language for me to be investing in when what i really need is something i can put on my resume. hope you guys understand.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: