Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Salary Finder (Regarding records)
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
xXInsanityXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:32 am   Post subject: Salary Finder (Regarding records)

Not really a salary finder but thats what i will call this program

K, i work at McDonalds, and i want to keep an account of my salary, etc.I decided to create a mini database in turing, and am using records

but for some reason my code is not working, im totaly new to records so please bare along...

code:

type salaryInfo :
    record
        numHours : real
        payPerHour : real
        breakMinutes : real
        totalSalary : real
        salaryWithTax : real
        salaryRecieved : real
        salaryCredit : real
        salaryToDate : real
    end record

var info:  salaryInfo

loop
get info
end loop

i have even tried arrays

code:

var info: array 1..100 of salaryInfo

for x: 1..100
get salaryInfo (x)
end for

so could anyone explain why this code is not working?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You can't just get or put an entire record. It would be nice if you could, but you can't. (Actually, you can, but then you're using read/write, and you are not working with the user/the output window: you're working with files. Still, you will likely want to look into that for your program. Check the Turing Walkthrough.)

You have to manually get each field of your record.

code:

type salaryInfo :
    record
    end record

get info.numHours
get info.payPerHour
% ...

And I don't know why you had your get in a loop. Thinking
xXInsanityXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh, i probably misread, i read a tutorial on records (AsianSensations i think) and it had the record type as an array, so i tried it but i fared no luck... i was wondering if i could get numHours, payPerHour, breakMinutes and write it into a txt document?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

xXInsanityXx wrote:
Oh, i probably misread, i read a tutorial on records (AsianSensations i think) and it had the record type as an array, so i tried it but i fared no luck...

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. You did it correctly, in your first post. You just didn't get it correctly. Like I said, you have to get and put each field of the record manually. You can't get and put an entire record at once. (A field of a record is, for example, numHours or salaryWithTax.)

xXInsanityXx wrote:
i was wondering if i could get numHours, payPerHour, breakMinutes and write it into a txt document?

Sure. There are two ways to do this. First, use put. But like I said, you have to put each field manually.

code:

var fileStream : int
open : fileStream, "database.txt", put
put : fileStream, info.numHours
put : fileStream, info.payPerHour
put : fileStream, info.breakMinutes
close : fileStream

Alternatively, you could use random-access, via write, which allows you to write a whole record at once (and you can read a whole record at once as well!). Note that you're data file will not be understandable.

code:

var fileStream : int
open : fileStream, "database.txt", write
write : fileStream, info
close : fileStream
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:46 am   Post subject: Re: Salary Finder (Regarding records)

xXInsanityXx wrote:
Not really a salary finder but thats what i will call this program

K, i work at McDonalds, and i want to keep an account of my salary, etc.I decided to create a mini database in turing, and am using records

but for some reason my code is not working, im totaly new to records so please bare along...

code:

type salaryInfo :
    record
    end record

loop
get info
end loop

i have even tried arrays

code:

var info: array 1..100 of salaryInfo

for x: 1..100
get salaryInfo (x)
end for

so could anyone explain why this code is not working?

I am confused, why do you need records to do it? How about making a program that takes this stuff in using variables and saves it in a text file in a nice clean table... I dont see a use for records but I might be wrong because I dont know what you have planned. Confused
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:10 pm   Post subject: Re: Salary Finder (Regarding records)

MysticVegeta wrote:
I am confused, why do you need records to do it? How about making a program that takes this stuff in using variables and saves it in a text file in a nice clean table... I dont see a use for records but I might be wrong because I dont know what you have planned. Confused

Records aren't a bad idea. Especially since they'll allow him to read/write things to files very easily.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Me thinks using varibles should be able to do that, if you put them in a loop that is.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
Me thinks using varibles should be able to do that, if you put them in a loop that is.

Absolutely. But which is neater? Do you want to package all the data regarding his pay into a single variable unit? Or would you prefer to leave it floating around, like ... like the potato chips that Homer brought about the spacecraft.

Sorry, I couldn't think of a better simile.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You want barbeque chips, and your friend wants ranch chips. You can either have have a big barrel full of assorted chips and sort them out, or you can have two sealed bags that you know only contain either barbeque or ranch chips.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: