Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Need Help on white in pictures
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
The_Triangle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:04 pm   Post subject: Need Help on white in pictures

I am trying to get the white in this picture out for my game, but its not working out. Turing Reference says "you must know the color number that represents the color in the image that is to be transparent."

In my case the colour is white, and it is not going away.

Files attached. Help is appreciated.

ball.zip
 Description:
code, and picture included.

Download
 Filename:  ball.zip
 Filesize:  6.64 KB
 Downloaded:  94 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
beard0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The proble is that the background isn't a pure white, it's many colours very close to white, only one of which is allowed to be transparent.
The_Triangle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

beard0 wrote:
The proble is that the background isn't a pure white, it's many colours very close to white, only one of which is allowed to be transparent.

i edited the ball picture in photoshop, what program do u suggest to fill the many colours very close to white, into pure white?

and if u can do it for me , i'd appreciate it hehe Razz
beard0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would suggest simply drawing the ball in turing, given what you have. If you insist on photoshop, try paying attention to the pallet, and turn off anti-aliasing. I use the gimp - so I'm not sure how in ps.
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I too would suggest drawing it. Although, are you sure that function is working? 'cause I edited the picture, to make sure its all white, and then did whatdotcolor for the white portion, it still wouldn't work. I myself have never seen this function before.

anyway, here's the edited picture, it gets rid of the annoying dots at least.

ball.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.72 KB
 Viewed:  2153 Time(s)

ball.jpg

The_Triangle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

if anything, this guy did it.
he has jupiter with the white around it in the actual picture, but its smooth because the white isnt there in the program, and he has a diff background picture in the background too.

i'll put this up to see if it helps u guys to help me :S lol

p.s. its also found in the turing help walkthrough, i believe

smoothanimation.zip
 Description:
jupiter, smooth animation, no white around the picture.

Download
 Filename:  smoothanimation.zip
 Filesize:  58.43 KB
 Downloaded:  105 Time(s)

beard0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The space program is using another technique, which also requires only one pure white, and that is that when the planet is drawn, the mode is picMerge, not picCopy. That uses the background colour as transparent while drawing the picture. This technique should work for you, if you use Paul's ball.
Albrecd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you use paint to make the entire background white, the default transparent colour of Turing is that white. Then just use picMerge.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
The_Triangle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

beard0 wrote:
The space program is using another technique, which also requires only one pure white, and that is that when the planet is drawn, the mode is picMerge, not picCopy. That uses the background colour as transparent while drawing the picture. This technique should work for you, if you use Paul's ball.

i did use picMerge in my program
beard0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The_Triangle wrote:
i did use picMerge in my program

That being the case, there's no need to set a transparent colour. have you tried with Paul's ball?
The_Triangle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Albrecd wrote:
If you use paint to make the entire background white, the default transparent colour of Turing is that white. Then just use picMerge.

but to see if my picture had the white "transparent", i changed the background to a black , and made the white transparent using the Pic.SetTransparentColour command.

The result was that the white still showed.

Oh and I also used Paul's edited ball.
beard0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:49 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you change the background to black, black will be the transparent colour. Leave the background white, and drawfillbox(0,0,maxx,maxy,black). Then it will work.
The_Triangle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

beard0 wrote:
If you change the background to black, black will be the transparent colour. Leave the background white, and drawfillbox(0,0,maxx,maxy,black). Then it will work.

well yeah, but my background is gonna be a picture, so the colour of the background wont really matter.

just like in that jupiter animation, they have the background a picture.

mines gonna be like that , kind of
codemage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If your graphics are really simple, you can save them as GIFs in photoshop. If you leave the background as transparent (it looks like a grey and white checkerboard), you don't have to worry about pallete or colour matching.

...if your pics are simple enough that GIFs are a reasonable format.
The_Triangle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

codemage wrote:
If your graphics are really simple, you can save them as GIFs in photoshop. If you leave the background as transparent (it looks like a grey and white checkerboard), you don't have to worry about pallete or colour matching.

...if your pics are simple enough that GIFs are a reasonable format.

but the thing is... u cant use gifs in turing Sad
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 31 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: