Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Help with Arrays in a Procedure...
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
brokeded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:48 am   Post subject: Help with Arrays in a Procedure...

I am using Turing in my Computer Science class and we are currenly working on Procedures, and I need help on a question.

The question I have to do is:

Write a procedure that will output the largest element of an array of size N. The call to the procedure should be largestInArray( A, N).

(((( How would I do it? I am not to good with Procedures right now))))
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

first - do you know how to do this without a procedure?

if so, then procedure is just a wrapper for that code, and instead of creating an array full of values, you're simply passing one as an argument.
codemage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:59 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you're learning procedures, you should probably already know how to step through an array. You might want to take a look at the array tutorial for a refresher.

Your teacher probably expects you to step through using a loop and check each element against the biggest element you've found yet.

EDIT: Kind of redundant to Tony's post now. Took too long to respond with the reply window open. Sad
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Isnt this sorting?
Also, what kind of elements are you talking about? Strings or ints? There are lotsa tutorials for sorting the array.
beard0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Given that your teacher wants you to use A and N as parameters, and Turing already has the upper function, are you sure that you aren't expected to write a function using recursion? You should check with your teacher.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well... the difference here is that you only need the largest element in the array, you don't have to worry about anything else. This makes it much easier.

Ah, almost didn't catch beard0's post. I doubt that at this level (also just learning procedures) that he knows about recursion. They might need to use N because they haven't covered upper() yet.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I still support tony's post about how you know how to do it without using procedure. I dont think they have learned the procedure parameters yet so just have to wrap up that code in procedure i guess.
brokeded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

beard0 wrote:
Given that your teacher wants you to use A and N as parameters, and Turing already has the upper function, are you sure that you aren't expected to write a function using recursion? You should check with your teacher.

We have learned upper( ), but I am not to good at using it. Plus I can't use a Function because the next question tells me to do this same question but with a function. I just have to find a way to figure out the highest number, but the 'upper ( )' command always comfuses me.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

brokeded wrote:
the 'upper ( )' command always comfuses me.

if your procedure is largestInArray( A, N) then upper(A) will be the same as N
brokeded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright, I got it to work. Here is the procedure I have, and it works, so I am happy.

Quote:

procedure largestInArray (var A : array 1 .. * of int, N : int)
var high : int := minint
for i : 1 .. N
high := max (high, A (i))
end for
put high
end largestInArray

Alright, for the next question, I have to:

Quote:

Modify the above procedure so that it is a function that returns the largest value in the array. No output is expected within the function. The function call might be: large := largestInArray(Array, N)

To bad I haven't even been taught functions yet. Now i have to go look throught the Turing Help post thing, and find functions and read up on how to use them.... gonna be a while Sad
codemage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Functions are friendly little guys; don't worry.

They're basically procedures that return back a value.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

so instead of

put high

you'll have

result high

you should read up on functions and how they work
brokeded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:20 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I got it. My friend in class is a wiz with Turing, and he helped me learn how to use Functions. So I am done that question and am on to the next. Here is what I got for my function, and it seems to work.

Quote:

function largestInArray (var A : array 1 .. * of int, N : int) : int
for i : 1 .. N
end for
result high
end largestInArray
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

brokeded wrote:
My friend in class is a wiz with Turing, and he helped me learn how to use Functions.

Then he should come here Smile.

Here is the exact same thing, but using upper():
code:
function largestInArray (var A : array 1 .. * of int) : int
    for i : 1 .. upper (A)
    end for
    result high
end largestInArray

If that example isn't enough, read some of the tutorials we have on arrays, they should be enough to clear things up for you...

One is:
http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=1117
GlobeTrotter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

high : int := minint

seems like a strange way to approach this problem. You're introducing needlessly large negative numbers. Why not set high equal to A(1) then loop from the 2nd to the last.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: