Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 the turing command "fork"
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:02 am   Post subject: the turing command "fork"

im not sure what the "fork" does, i think it makes somthing run at the same time??

Um i would like a run down of what the fork does, hows it is used, and what can be used with it.. Etc::

Basicly a mini tut on fork..

thanks!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

A mini tutorial on fork would be a mini tutorial on process's, hence directly related to the other post of yours:
Quote:
OMFG! I hope tat doesn't mean all the procs I've been using are back[/somehtinglikethat]

In which case you shouldn't learn them, or at least avoid using them.
beard0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Also - you had yet another post about being worried about collision detection not running fast enough throguh the array of walls to stop a ball from going through one. I told you not to worry about it - if you use processes though, that is when you would suddenly need to worry about it. You shouldn't need to use processes for what you want to do. In fact, for most things, processes would be unnecessary, and therefore undesireable. The only place where they should be used, in my opinion, is when using the Net module, simply because once you start a Net.WaitForConnection, it will wait, and wait, and wait until it gets a connection, essentially locking you out of doing anything else in your program. Anything else I can think of can be done linearly, even user input can be done at the same time as something else using hasch and getch.

Edit: Just realsied I never really gave a reason: When using processes, the computer chooses in what order to do things. When programming linearly, you decide in what order to do things. Don't give away control if you don't have to!
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have a discovery of when forks cause turing to crash
[syntax ="Turing Pseudocode"]
fork pro1 and pro2
[/syntax]
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

um i think its...

code:

[code]
    program
[/code]

Smile
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
I have a discovery of when forks cause turing to crash
TuringPseudocode:

fork pro1 and pro2

Bah, I remember seeing this a few times, but it's not supposed to work. Although I guess it shouldn't cause the environment to crash...
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well i thought it was supposed to work because, like we have
code:
if something [u]and[/u] otherthing [u]and[/u] someotherthing

We can extend almost anything even
code:
put 1 and 2

I think it was supposed to work, but if not, then at least an error of some sort. Dont know they will fix it for the next version, too lazy to tell them about the bug....
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sorry to break it to ya, but there most probably will not be a next version. Two different dates they have in the help files have come and gone, and their Turing site has not been updated.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

and does not work the way grammer would tell you. I'm not sure how it applies to processes, but try doing something like:
code:

put 5 and 6

Check out zylum's bitwise tutorial for an explanation of how this works.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Looks liek they are running short of money! People are understanding that this is useless language. lol
haseeb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

R u dumb you have to use a fork to eat food.
evogre3n

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MysticVegeta wrote:
Looks liek they are running short of money! People are understanding that this is useless language. lol

Its good for very begginers
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

evogre3n wrote:
Its good for very begginers

It's better for people who will never do anything in CompSci after it.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

amen.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: