Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 HELP WHAT DO I LEARN NOW???
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
paulkwatyra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:23 pm   Post subject: HELP WHAT DO I LEARN NOW???

ok so im pretty good with the entire turing language and i want to learn a new one the problem is i have no clue which one ppl tell me delphi some tell me java some tell me c++ i am new at programming tho as i just learned turing this year so can anyone help me out thanx
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

None of the above.

Learn Ruby.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I suggest you stick with Turing for now. Despite all the bashing Turing gets, it is quite good for teaching the basics. And there are lots of tricks Turing can still teach you. Learning a more advanced language will be far more difficult if you haven't got the basics of programming mastered, something that Turing can do for you. And when I say basics, I don't mean if statements and arrays. I mean everything up to classes. Inheritence and polymorphism are good to fiddle around with in Turing.

To answer your question though, Ruby gets my vote. Or you could take a "smoother learning curve", and learn O'Caml. Wink

You should also look at our where to go next thread.

And, please don't type in all caps.
*shakes head*
codemage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:49 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd reccomend not ruby.

Take turing a lot further (finish up at least 80% of the Turing Walkthrough). It'll be a quicker go than going through most other languages, and it'll prep you for better for those other, more nasty bits.

And then start off with something that's not altogether removed from Turing. Java probably wouldn't be a bad start.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

codemage wrote:

And then start off with something that's not altogether removed from Turing. Java probably wouldn't be a bad start.

If Java is going to follow Turing, make certain that you are familiar with classes and inheritence in Turing.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: