Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CompSci.ca's programming contest
Index -> Contests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

If SWAT was to organize a programming contest, would you participate?
(No ending time set)
Yes, ofcourse!
64%
 64%  [ 61 ]
Yes, but I'd like some prizes.
21%
 21%  [ 20 ]
Maybe... if prizes are good
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
No.
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 95

bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol its not that bad!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Less than perfect though
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if farerra gives us an computer engineering exam, i'm gonna burn his house down, after all we been through...
thegoose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:55 pm   Post subject: My Idea

My idea is to put up some really hard problem, aka. problems which are nearly NP complete. Then give us about a month to work on it. The person with the most correct and efficient solution wins.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thegoose : while its an interesting idea, I doubt that many would remain interested enough in the contest for a duration of a month Confused
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

NP complete? optimization problems are about the worst type of contest problems... I think that AI competitions are much better...
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

didn't you suggest AI contests before? and didn't I get really excited about the idea but scrapped due to the lack of interest? Thinking
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

okay well,
yes i have suggested an AI contest before
yes I've actually wrote the engine
http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=1162&highlight=snakes
yes i've actually wrote my own AI

but only one person submitted anything...
I cant help it if nobody is interested... at least making a AI is hell-a-lot better than making some stupid optimization for a NP-complete problem!!

it would be more interesting if the AI is sophisticated

also i've made an AI for robocode as part of York thing: http://robocode.alphaworks.ibm.com/home/home.html
but you can easily write a simple AI that does relatively well and it is VERY difficult to write a good AI so this is no good.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Brightguy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:08 pm   Post subject: Re: My Idea

But NP-complete problems are not necessarily hard at all. Laughing

That could be interesting. Any specific problems you had in mind? If it was an NP-complete problem you would probably have to devise an approximation algorithm, or have it only work on special cases.

AI is another good idea. The snakes game was interesting...
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

unless you really know what you are doing, i suggest you guys stay away from NP complete stuff
Brightguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:13 pm   Post subject: NP-complete

Yeah, you're probably right. But there are still interesting questions that someone could give a look. For example, did you know problems in Tetris are NP-complete? (To maximize number rows cleared or tetrises, minimize the highest height of a filled gridsquare, or maximize the number of blocks placed before the end of the game.) You would be given a finite sequence of pieces, and would have to find the best solution. So, you could make a contest out of this, and the algorithm which comes up with the best solution(s) wins.

How similar would creating a tetris AI be to these problems? I suppose a tetris AI would only be allowed to see the next block to come, like in an actual game.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

no i didnt know that, but i would have expected it to be NP complete. similarly minesweeper is also NP complete. basically it boils down to good heuristics for optimization... but if you are going to write heuristics, might as well do it as part of an AI than on some stupid NP complete problem, wouldnt you say?? and I can guarentee you that nobody is going to participate in a contest that involves writing optimized solutions for NP complete problems.[/b]
theguru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I personally don't think that anything should be charged and nothing should be bought. (but of course if you want to then you can) But you should just award the winner with bits and maybe with a graphics award or something?? But it's more practice for other contests, bragging rights, and preperation than just winning a prize.
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright guys, quick contest - Rock, Paper, Scissors AI. Ends Friday the 18th.

write a function in a language of your choice as follows:

Turing:
code:
function doRockPaperScissors (last : String) : String

Java:
code:
String doRockPaperScissors (String last)

etc.

The parameter last will be one of "rock" "paper" "scissors" "none" representing your opponants previous move. The function returns one of "rock" "paper" "scissors", representing your move. 50 games will be played round robin style. Winner gets some bits. Go.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What is emphasized? Speed? Length? Readability? Features?
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 5  [ 71 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: