Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Canadian Test the Server Contest
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
thegoose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:19 pm   Post subject: Canadian Test the Server Contest

We're trying to make the 1st stage of the Canadian Computing Competition online sometime in the next few years. Right now, the grader is almost done, so we're going to run a series of onilne programming contests to test it. The first Canadian Test the Server Contest is scheduled to run sometimes in late Novemember/early December.
As this is basically an online warmup for the CCC, the format is basically the same (5 problems, 3 hours). However, the differences are that each problem is out of 100 points, stricter time/memory limits and languages are restricted to C/C++/Java as of now. As this is a trial, don't count on the grader to work 100% of the time during the contest.
If you're interested in doing this contest, please contact me (peng_richard@hotmail.com) or Simon (fat_simon@hotmail.com)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
JackTruong

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'll be interested, what time will this contest be written?
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah me too
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Count me in. Can we participate as a school?

*Emails thegoose*
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sounds great.

Since this is just a test run, will there be requirements as to who may participate? (CCC itself is aimed at highschool level)

And will you be making plans to expand the language restrictions?
zylum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i would like to participate. will it be restricted to highschool students only though?
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh my god, if zylum, wtd, tony, beardo, etc (all other university people) get in, high school are doomed! !!! !!!
thegoose

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

We haven't decided on the exact date, but it will likely be sometime in mid to late Novemember.
I don't see any problems with school pariticipations. But keep in mind that CCC is meant to be individual based.
We don't have any plans for supporting languages other than Pascal, C/C++, Java as they're the only languages allowed for CCC stage 2, ACM and the IOI.
University students are welcome to participate. We have our source of challenging (aka. evil) problems.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I may participate, but I'll really be sure only when the time comes Smile.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I was thinking of picking up some Objective-C later on.. lets see how much C I can pick up before mid November Laughing

thegoose wrote:

Pascal, C/C++, Java as they're the only languages allowed for CCC stage 2

but
thegoose wrote:

We're trying to make the 1st stage of the Canadian Computing Competition online

Stage 1 used to be open to any general purpose programming language. If you plan on taking that choice away - how many students would miss out on the opportunity to participate because all they were taught was.. lets say Turing? Something like 1/3 of scored entries are in the Junior division - with no intend on moving on to the 2nd stage. From my personal experience (involving 3 highschools), languages as C++ or Java are not taught until grade 12. I've also heard a lot of horror stories about highschools cancelling grade 12 CS all-together.

The bottom line is that while an online judging system will make the contest more accessible, especially to students in schools where administration would lack the initiative to participate. This new restriction will turn away a lot of younger kids who have not yet had an opportunity to pick up a higher language on their own, outside the classroom.

Actually a personal story here -- as I recall, I think I've gotten really interested in computer science only after I saw my first Junior CCC score. It was a real confidence booster that motivated me to pursue further studies outside of classroom's realm. Needless to say back in grade 10 I was using Turing to write the contest.

So thegoose - any comments about this changing demographic CCC will be targeting?
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, also if I will be doing it, it will be in turing... although provinces outside ontario mostly teach VB in grade 10,
thegoose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I talked with Simon about this, his reason for not including Turing is that due to compatibality and security issues, the grader is run from a Unix platform. As far as I'm aware, there are no versions of VB or Turing that works under Unix (command line version). It would be very hard to incorporate a dual-operating-system grader, but we might try that in the far future (after we get the basic grader bug-free)
If you're using Turing, I'd suggest that you switch to Pascal for this contest. The syntax is almost identical (except the ; at the end of each line). The version that we're using can be found at www.freepascal.org
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thegoose wrote:
almost identical
theres a sad word "almost". Well i just hope i will be able to pick up in time
zylum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

we will be using standard input/output right? i dont want to learn how to read/write to files in java Confused
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

zylum wrote:
we will be using standard input/output right? i dont want to learn how to read/write to files in java Confused

Indeed, this would be a determining factor for me.
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: