Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 NetBeans 5.0 Beta
Index -> Java
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:32 pm   Post subject: NetBeans 5.0 Beta

http://www.netbeans.org/community/releases/50/index.html

GUI designer demo:

http://www.netbeans.org/files/documents/4/475/matisse.html
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea.. well i was to post that.. once the "release" version was out.. darn it.. i didn;t realize they got all those features functional soo fast.. sweet.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

NetBeans has always been my Java IDE of choice, and I've been drooling over Matisse since I first saw the demo about five months ago. I installed the beta two days ago, and man is it sweet 8)
turboliux

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

whats so sweet about Net Beans? maybe i m still a noob, but I use JCreator and it saves my day 8)
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

netbean's matisse is one of the greatest GUI building tools available for Java for free..

Netbeans wasn't really comparable with Eclipse sometime ago.. now it has a chance to compete.. eitherway Eclipse's VE (visual editor) is pathetic!

I've seen some demos of IntelliJ's IDEA. Oh man that was sweet! Didn't know coding can be so much fun. Laughing (too bad it's not free)

I can't wait for Netbeans 5.0 though... the beta one has some serious bugs.. The most apparent one is it's code-folding mechanism. Try it out and you'll see.

But Netbeans 5.0 will "really" rock on Mustang. Cuz mustang has such great enhancements to it's swing library.. you are gonna drool. Laughing like for example.. everything swing is OpenGL rendered (woots!).. the new opengl singlethreaded pipeline for maximum performance (another woots!). and then you get free font sub-pixel anti-aliasing throughout ur app. (finally!).. and much more..

infact since everythign is opengl rendered.. there were discussions on makeing a 3D PLAF Wink (that would be kinda cool)

yep can't wait till mustang.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Something wierd's happened to my netbeans5.0-beta install (on Linux). It crashed once while I was using Matisse, and now the JVM is failing whenever I try to run it. Netbeans 4.1 is still good though. I guess I'll file a bug report and try to reinstall.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:20 am   Post subject: (No subject)

worked fine on windows... hmm
Ultra Jugulator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Don't bother using it on Linux. It's way better in Windows. Wink

It runs marvelous!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ultra Jugulator wrote:
Don't bother using it on Linux. It's way better in Windows. Wink

Can you elaborate on that? Razz

An important bug fix made in the Linux version of NetBeans -- loading Projects directly off of mounted NFS shares. Didn't work before, works great now. Yay NetBeans! Very Happy
goomba

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Eclipse IMO is much better and more stable than NetBeans on all platforms. Matisse is nice, but it still generates code that is way too verbose and convoluted.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

goomba wrote:
Matisse is nice, but it still generates code that is way too verbose and convoluted.
how so?
goomba

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It uses full names for every single object instead of just importing at the top (not sure if there's a way to change this) and I don't like the fact that it relies on its own nonstandard packages for many of its layout features. I also like to have more control over how the GUI initialization methods are handled.

Maybe some people like to have an IDE write code for them, but I prefer to either do it myself entirely or have it done without interfering with the code, the way Interface Builder works.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

goomba wrote:
It uses full names for every single object instead of just importing at the top (not sure if there's a way to change this)

Good point. This has always annoyed the heck out of me, and I don't know if/how it can be changed. Perhaps rizzix does?

Despite a few shortcomings, Netbeans is what I'm most familiar with, and at the end of the day, thats really what matters most, all else being approximately equal.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

goomba wrote:
Maybe some people like to have an IDE write code for them, but I prefer to either do it myself entirely or have it done without interfering with the code, the way Interface Builder works.
That is possible... in the near future... take a look at this project: https://jdnc.dev.java.net/

it provides a means of creating the GUI by writing XML files... if that procedure is automated.. Wink well we've got the Interface Builder equivalent for SWING.

Eitherway.. eclipse's VisualEditor is pathetic... you can't compare eclipse to netbeans on that score..

Hikaru79: no actually i don't know... i dont use netbeans.. although i plan to use it but only after 5.0 is "released".

Nevertheless if you're not satisfied with matisse.. there's always (the non-free) http://jformdesigner.com/ (demos)
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i just tried out the Beta2 on my mac: here's a screenshot..

wait... i can't upload... i thought dan said this was working perfectly..
   Index -> Java
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 28 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: