Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [The Desktops] October/December 2005
Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> The Showroom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ah, I meant on the desktop.
But anyhow, that skin looks good (ahhh want it -- but can't switch from windows...too much is already on here.......)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ubuntu doesn't place anything on the Desktop by default. It's possible to put anything on the desktop, since it's treated as just another folder in your home directory.

Removable media does show up on the desktop.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amailer wrote:
ahhh want it -- but can't switch from windows...too much is already on here.......)

Then buy a second hard drive to install linux on to
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Should have partitioned the hdd Wink.
beard0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Should have partitioned the hdd ;).

I'd love to try out linux, but the whole dual boot thing scares me, so I've played around with live cd's. I need a second computer, but no way I can affford it.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:

He still can with a program like parition magic. But there's a chance something could go wrong while partitioning it. I know it's happend to me
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

beard0 wrote:
[Gandalf] wrote:

I'd love to try out linux, but the whole dual boot thing scares me, so I've played around with live cd's. I need a second computer, but no way I can affford it.
it's a piece of cake... very safe... easy to do (hmm)... well depends on your experience i guess... but yea.. i've only installed linux as dual boot Wink (quite the opposite of you)
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Do your research, back up stuff you can't afford to lose, and it's a cinch.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
beard0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I have been considering it... I already have my hard drive partitioned, but I've heard from a number of sources that windows doesn't play nicely with linux. Is this just complete bull, or do I need to take active steps to protect them from each other?
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yea complete bull.. but.. only thing is... you won't see a linux "drive" in windows.

oh and since this is your first dual boot... ehm.. a tip: keep windows as the first partition... also try and not screw up your bootloader setup.. that could screw things up real bad (but not as bad as "hopelessly bad").. Oh and another thing (i don't know about ubuntu) but you might have to manually setup your bootloader to work with both your linux and windows.

oh and.. btw.. i use grub.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Install Windows first. Windows doesn't play nice with other operating systems. When you install it, it will overwrite any other bootloaders that are already present. If you install Linux, then Windows, you will not be able to boot into Linux, making that install a waste of time.

Ubuntu does a fantastic job of automatically setting up grub.
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You can see your Linux partition in Windows provided you have the driver installed (can't remember the link, try google). It works pretty well, the only problem I've had with it is not being able to share the partition over the network.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hey wtd, what's that button next to the "Show Desktop" button in the lower left corner?

I've switched themes again. Guess what I'm going for?

This was actually quite difficult. There are surprisingly few red themes. I really wish I had a better red window boarder. There was one theme called "Automotive Red", I believe, but that was way too overbearing.
I got the background from deviantArt, with a few tweaks by myself.

Ruby.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  388.2 KB
 Viewed:  2606 Time(s)

Ruby.png

wtd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's the "Window Selector" applet. The Window list is fine, but I like to set it to only show windows open on the current desktop. The Window Selector shows me windows on all desktops.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Nice theme, Cervantes! =) The GTK engine, particularly, gives it a very Ruby-ish feel! Very Happy
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> The Showroom
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 43 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: