Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 3D! Blah! I'll be updating this...
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
RaPsCaLLioN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:44 am   Post subject: 3D! Blah! I'll be updating this...

Ok. I'm tired so I'll explain in depth later. It's my first post here so I just want to show off (hopefully). I'll explain as I update. I'll at least tell you it's a rotating cube, complete with visual surface determination (which, with how I did it, will only work for box shapes). Use "a", "b", and "c" buttons to rotate on different axis.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:56 am   Post subject: (No subject)

WOW, its really good...

you know what I want to see in the future? a 3D engine module for turing, fast enough not to lag with games...

Maybe SWAT can take on the challange? If you want to discuss something like this, add me to MSN or post in general discussion.

Can't wait for an update.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

update on turing 3D engine...

i run a test on my machine (Celeron 550 Embarassed ) and it renders 750 polygons in 1 second exactly. At the framerate of 16 frames/second, a scene can't be larger then 45 polygons to run smoothly.

Here's my opinion on what you can fit into that space... a spaceship out of 15 polygons to control and 7 pyramids sticking out of flat ground... thats 45 polygons give or take.

So? Anyone out there need a turing 3D engine for 45 polygon scenes? I'd like to hear your opinion on this.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Brightguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:40 am   Post subject: Re: 3D! Blah! I'll be updating this...

Wow - that is impressive. I never even considered 3D programming in Turing... I remember I was happy when I was able to animate the spokes of a turning 2D wheel using Trigonometry... this puts my program to shame. Wink

Great work!
RaPsCaLLioN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks for the compliments. Anyone notice how the cube doesn't really look like a cube? It seems to kinda stretch and squoosh ever so slightly. I don't know why this is but I could be seeing things.
Also, I need another way to determine which sides are visible. Anyone have any good methods of Z-sorting?
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I started to work on the 3D turing engine. So far it renders objects on to the screen... Work for any shape made up of triangles(you can make ANY shape out of triangles), but it will not render properly if you're to do some complex stuff where whole bunch of polygons wrap around each other and I know for fact its not going to render right if they go through each other.

Anyway, still need to code the procedure for rotating (I couldn't copy RaPsCaLLioN's since it works a different way).

Then organize code a bit, I found a bug in my organization and I need to fix it.

Then there's a 3D shape editor to make so that you don't have to write it all up in a notepad Wink maybe someone can help me with that?

It should be done by the end of this week... atleast have a beta-version out.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:08 am   Post subject: (No subject)

About Z-sorting, I'm taking an average Z value of each polygon, then sorting that. Seems to work so far, but I didn't get to rotate objects yet, so can't say for sure on how efficient that is.
RaPsCaLLioN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I really want to take a peek at your code dude. Post it up when you're done. If you need help ripping the rotation from my code let me know.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ofcourse... I'll make it available for download as a module for turing so you can actually write your own programs with the help of the module... much like GUI Very Happy

I know how to do rotations, I just need to add a procedure to calculate initial angle relative to pivit point for each vertex before rotating. I just figured it out how to do it during my math class (simpliest solution is always the best Wink).

I want to have rotation setup where you just call the procedure with the angle to rotate and axis to rotate around. I should have a working version by end of today if I'll finish my biology homework fast enough.
Delta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:39 am   Post subject: Sweet!

This is really cool I love it! Very Happy
That is an awesome job you've done. Bravo!
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

this aint that slow...
in fact it doesn't even lag on my computer.. only the filling alittle...
good job anyways... it's cool 8)
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: