Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Final Projects
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Are you going to submit something?
(No ending time set)
Of course!
58%
 58%  [ 136 ]
No, I don't want excessive amounts of bits
10%
 10%  [ 24 ]
Depends on the mark I get
31%
 31%  [ 74 ]
Total Votes : 234

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:46 pm   Post subject: Final Projects

It's that time of year again that most of us have final computer science projects coming up. Here's my goal: A collection of ideas and submissions. Please be careful posting source code as A) some teachers'll think that you copied and B) People steal code. Anyway, best of luck.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Asok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you are handing work in I would reccomend you do NOT post the source code until either a) you get a mark for it, or b) it's after June

Feel free to post standalone versions though. I say this only to protect the poster, I'm sure we'd all love to see the code Wink
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

it might be a good idea to post your standalones so that others can find bugs and give comments about your program.

just dont make a new post for your every version. Ether update the file in previous post and reply to your own post with a new file.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright people, over the next week, I'm expecting people to post a lot of projects, as most computer science classes have a final project due within a week of now. Post them as source code or compiled (source will get you more bits.) Also, make the title of your post whatever the name of your game is. Please include a short description of features of your game, as well as play controls if they aren't outlined in the actual game. Obviously, .zip or .rar multiple files.

Here's how I'm going to be giving out bits:
Your game looks:
Okay - 10 bits
Good - 20 bits
Excellent - 30 bits
*DROOL* - 40 bits

Your controls are:
Crappy - 10 bits
Average - 20 bits
Simple but effective - 30 bits
Complex and effective - 40 bits

Gameplay:
Ran it, looked at it, closed it - 20 bits
Played it for a few minutes - 40 bits
Played it for a while, I'll come back to this when I've got more time - 60 bits
Still playing this. - 80 bits

Complexity:
I'm sure I've seen this before - 15 bits
Kinda complicated, but by no means unique - 30 bits
Some unique concepts - 45 bits
I've never seen anything like this - 60 bits

This only applies of you include source code.
Uncommented, and messy - 10 bits
Commented, messy - 20 bits
Clean but uncommented - 30 bits
Clean and well commented - 40 bits
**Uncommented and poorly commented are the same thing

As I'm sure you can see, that's A LOT of bits Very Happy. This means that your game could get up to 260 bits!!!!

I, or another mod will comment on your game and give you the bits. If you fix up anything that we criticized on and resubmit, you've got the chance to have us re-evaluate your program and award even more bits, although be sure to make note that you resubmitted so that we know. I realize that not everyone will be making a game for their final project, I will adapt these rules for your game on a per-project basis. Keep in mind to make your program's features apparent, because if I can't find it, I can't mark you on it. Also keep in mind that, just by participating, you are guarenteed at least 55 bits, unless it's dead obvious that you put no effort into the game.

NOTE: Please flag all games that you want to be evaluated with the tag [FP], so for example if the game that you are submitting is pong, it would be titled [FP] Pong. Thanks
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:59 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh, and there MIGHT be an award for the best project....
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

a shame we didn't really have a final project this year (and I had comp science first semester this year too) :/ can I post a few of my ones from past years Laughing
Asok

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Darkness wrote:

Your controls are:
Crappy - 10 bits
Average - 20 bits
Simple but effective - 30 bits
Complex and effective - 40 bits

Shouldn't simple and effective be worth more than complex and effective? simple would be WASD or Arrow keys, complex would be like having to search for keys. It makes more sence to award a better keyboard layout.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what I think he means by complex is having more then WASD keys... like in mechWarrior where you got a 40 key controls Shocked Though its still easy to control once you get the hang of it, so it would be awarded "compex and effective".
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Basically what I was trying to say was this: If your controls are just the arrow keys and maybe a few other keys, well placed and well thought out, then you get 30 bits. If you go a step further and allow for more inputs, but the inputs make sense, are well placed and are easy to use, you will get the full 40 bits.
Mephi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wut if our project wuz due a long time ago, and since then weve expanded on it...would it count as a project r just a regular submission?
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh great... now Darkness made things all complicated... Mad
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It doesn't have to be a final project, just has to be a big program, so if you want to, you can submit old projects yes, just so long as they aren't posted on this site.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The deadline for this is going to be Friday, June 13. PM me if you have a project that you would like to submit that is due at a later date.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

where the hell are you, darkness? you are missing out in school!!
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

School? Like review and Mr. Romien's Un-math? Hah!
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 5  [ 71 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: