Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Got verts?
Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> 3D Graphics
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:31 pm   Post subject: Got verts?

Just curious, how many people here actually deal with 3D graphics? Not just downloading 3DS Max from Kazaa, or proving your l33tness by playing aorund with Blender3D. I mean actually getting into it.

Do you read articles and tutorials about 3D graphics?
Can you paint your own textures?
Can you make a character (with and without someone else's concept art), and properly rig it for animation?
Use polygons efficiently for a variety of hardware?

Just the other day I met some people who seemed to believe they were knowledgable about CG but had no idea what I was talking about when I asked questions like the above. It got me wondering how many people aren't like that.

Note: I don't pretend to know everything about 3D computer graph-- well, yeah, I do sometimes, but you get the point I hope.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Not me, I tried 3DS Max, Milkshape 3d, and Maya 6 for a little bit. A few days trying to understand how to make a house and I gave up. To me, making complex things in 3d is simply impossible Smile.

I do undestand those questions though. 3d games aren't massively slow because the level of detail and the amount of polygons the further away something is decreases.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey, I can answer all of those questions!

no
no
no
and, no
Laughing

I used to do some low-poly 3DSMAX models, but nothing too complex.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i worked for side effects (www.sidefx.com), which offers a completely free copy of their software for non-commerical use. its much better than max, maya, lightwave, and all the other crap, albeit not as popular. In any case, it is used in stuff like LOTR, spiderman, xmen, matrix, final fantasy X

go download the Houdini 8 apprentice version (beta). it has some of features I developed too Smile

that being said, I discourage going into this market unless you are extremely talented. It is quiet difficult to get a job. and before you even get one, you'll need to show off your work (they always ask you for a copy of demos you made).
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks, everybody, for answering my question.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Seems that film producers work with more than one engine (for different scenes I would assume).

Such as Steamboy and Xman has employed both Houdini and 3DSMAX.

Spiderman has also used ether 3DSMAX or Maya (don't remember which one)

Suppose each has their own advantages.

Bugz - what kind of features have you developed? Smile
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yes... they use different programs for different shots. Houdini specializes in special effects, Maya specializes in character animation, and i believe max specializes in modelling. Even a single pipeline could contain several different pieces of software. as far as i can tell, Houdini provides a better workflow, and is capable of modelling as well as max, if not better. and latest version is providing advanced character rigging support, so it is going the maya's way.

I've worked on the new dynamics (DOPs) in Houdini Smile Specifically I modelled forces (magnet, vortex) and I did some collision detection (thinplates/thinplates, wire/wire). Its pretty cool stuff, but a lot of math
the dynamics is still not as good as maya or syflex, but its getting there Smile

Disney's upcoming title The Wild is completely done in Houdini Smile

and the only 3d fine arts course offered in waterloo uses houdini 2
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> 3D Graphics
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: