Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Hall Of Shame
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

SuperGenius wrote:
perhaps his name factored into the decision to ban him as well.

That and pm's to staff.........

Edit: also i blive his post was edited by a staff memeber to make it less officive and more funny
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I edited his posts. They were originally quite obscene.
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok.... there.. LAMER!!!. . .. seriousl.y. why the Ditch Firefox pic in sig?? no one endorses IE. . .. most ppl that try firefox enjoy it a lot more then Ie and dont go back..

and another shame:

who: mr physics teacher... hes smart as hell to.. but idk..
where: my school
when: today

ok.. we got this 200in one electronics kits for work on the electricity unit for physics11u.. . well.. he goes to vallue village.. and gets a bunch of power adapters.. without really looking instead of using 6 AA batterie per group(16 groups).. . yea.. anyways.. he goes and uses a IN: AC 120v 7.5A OUT: AC 12v 400mA and blows a kit rite to shit..and says what the hell this kit musta have a defect (just got em new)... i look at the adapter... uhh sir.. this is AC to AC... yea.. AC to AC rare.. but still..... what a dumbass move... kits cost 40$... ..

o and another....
computer spelling error!!!!!
ok.. a few comps in com tech room were opened (wire was rubbing on fan making a lot of noise).. . so afterwards now a bunch of them say at startup (prompting for f1)

"Warning: The Computer Case Has Been Openning"
< opened....spelling error on bios!
vagyb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

very funny stories. one thing i dont understand is when some of u guys say ur "freinds" come and steal ur program from ur computer while ur trying to help them... can't u just not let them?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, when someone is stealing from you, say your car. Can't you not let them? No, obviously.

Quote:
"Warning: The Computer Case Has Been Openning"

There's a warning for when the case is opened? Thats truly weird.

At my school library 1/3rd of the computers are down or at least not connected to the school network.
vagyb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[quote="[Gandalf]"]Well, when someone is stealing from you, say your car. Can't you not let them? No, obviously.

Quote:

well when someone is stealing ur car they usually have a weopon, i dont think this is the case with stealing turing codes
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Still, it's the concept of "stealing". Stealing is not like borrowing or something like that. The whole point of stealing is that it's without permission, so how can you not let them?

Stealing.
1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:14 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Which brings up the issue of intellectual property.

With a car: I work hard, I buy a car, someone steals it from me. They have my car. I have no car.

With code: I work hard, I write my program, someone steals it from me. They have my program. I have my program.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
1of42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, but it's more like:

I buy a car. Someone else steals it from me. They deprive me of its value, and they gain that value.

I write code. Someone steals it, depriving me from the value that it could have earned. Now they have that value, and I am deprived of it.

So it's really the same thing.
vagyb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:

With code: I work hard, I write my program, someone steals it from me. They have my program. I have my program.

so you beat them and take your code back?
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

1of42 wrote:

I write code. Someone steals it, depriving me from the value that it could have earned. Now they have that value, and I am deprived of it.

How does someone taking your code deprive you of the value it could earn? You still HAVE the code (You did make backup copies of that oh-so-important source file, right?). And this other person still has to know how to use the code to make stealing it worthwhile. They could try to sell it, or adapt it into their own program (if it's a competitor), and they probably would. Which is bad, certainly, but it isn't as though your program is gone for you.
Unless we're still talking about Turing, in which case they can't sell it anyway. The only benefit they might get from it is a better grade, which doesn't help them at all if they didn't understand the lesson.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Tell me, if you worked for three months programming and bought a car with the money you were paid, what would prefer: someone taking your car, or someone copying your source code?
the_short1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Tell me, if you worked for three months programming and bought a car with the money you were paid, what would prefer: someone taking your car, or someone copying your source code?

thatsa good one. .. for me it will be more like.. working for 10 years.. and buying the dodge viper Very Happy ahha.. .then.. i dont know.. . . i might pick the car.. for 3months.. ide pick the code
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

1of42 wrote:
Yeah, but it's more like:

I buy a car. Someone else steals it from me. They deprive me of its value, and they gain that value.

So it's really the same thing.

But the 2nd is only ture if they sell or calim the progame is there own. Just using it for there own needs or using it to make a new progame thats fuction is noting like yours dose not hurt you at all. Espaly if they whould never buy your progame noramly
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Cinjection

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Depends on what you value more, a material car, or reputation as a a programmer.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 9 of 10  [ 139 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: