Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Opera Web-browser
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Notoroge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:50 pm   Post subject: Opera Web-browser

I just discovered Opera and, upon getting to know it, uninstalled Firefox. 8) Most of you may be thinking, "BLASPHEMY!" or "KILL THE INFIDEL!" but hear me out.

I just can't say enough good things about it. I played around with it all of one hour and instantly became infatuated. The interface is minimalist and uber-pretty, it has a built in Mail client, Newsgroups reader, RSS support equivalent to 'Sage' for Firefox (but official and built-in), it can identify itself as Opera, Mozilla, or Internet Explorer (comes in handy), Notes (Kinda like Mac-stickies), Mouse gestures, Voice commands (which I'm actually using and am amazed by), the list goes on. And all of these features built-in and enabled by default without raping your computer's resources (As it stands, right now it's using 21MBs while having the RSS window, the (awsome) download-manager, Mail, Newsgroups, and about 6 windows open (Just made an account at the Opera community forums Wink). It runs and feels super-fast. You can actually feel the difference between Opera and Firefox. FEEL. And all these features implemented in a really minimalist yet really slick interface that makes it feel uncluttered and super smooth.

Give Opera a try. I played around with the free version for an hour, loved it, and whipped out my credit-card (Supporting the cause and what-not). Words cannot describe how much I love this browser.

I shall never install another browser ever again. Firefox is dead to me. LONG LIVE THE BIG RED-"O"!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You'll be baned within the hour, sellout.

Just kidding of course. I remember trying Opera back before firefox was around (firebird too, for that matter). The voice commands sounds interesting, could you explain that in a bit more detail?
1of42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:57 pm   Post subject: Re: Opera Web-browser

Notoroge wrote:
I just discovered Opera and, upon getting to know it, uninstalled Firefox. 8) Most of you may be thinking, "BLASPHEMY!" or "KILL THE INFIDEL!" but hear me out.

I just can't say enough good things about it. I played around with it all of one hour and instantly became infatuated. The interface is minimalist and uber-pretty, it has a built in Mail client, Newsgroups reader, RSS support equivalent to 'Sage' for Firefox (but official and built-in), it can identify itself as Opera, Mozilla, or Internet Explorer (comes in handy), Notes (Kinda like Mac-stickies), Mouse gestures, Voice commands (which I'm actually using and am amazed by), the list goes on. And all of these features built-in and enabled by default without raping your computer's resources (As it stands, right now it's using 21MBs while having the RSS window, the (awsome) download-manager, Mail, Newsgroups, and about 6 windows open (Just made an account at the Opera community forums Wink). It runs and feels super-fast. You can actually feel the difference between Opera and Firefox. FEEL. And all these features implemented in a really minimalist yet really slick interface that makes it feel uncluttered and super smooth.

Give Opera a try. I played around with the free version for an hour, loved it, and whipped out my credit-card (Supporting the cause and what-not). Words cannot describe how much I love this browser.

I shall never install another browser ever again. Firefox is dead to me. LONG LIVE THE BIG RED-"O"!

Not gonna argue. But MINIMALIST!? That interface is like a third of the screen!

I guess it's really a matter of preference. A lot of the stuff you said I know is implemented in Firefox, the rest I'm sure probably is now, or will be.

Also, Opera's lack of support for, and difficulties with many html and css constructs makes me shy far away from it.
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yup, voice commands-- the only thing that intrested me in your whole long paragraph which I indeed read. Explain Laughing

I used Opera no I which version- didn't like it- didn't like the interface an iunno but I think it was my first tabbed brower that I have used.

*edit*
its paied? that means... *sigh* Iunno, I still like firefox but im gonna give the free opera a shot (once again).
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

INFIDEL!!! No, but seriously, I won't use anything without tabbed browsing. I've become addicted to it. No tabbed browsing = no browser. Although voice commands seem pretty cool, if not handy.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Opera Web-browser

1of42 wrote:
Not gonna argue. But MINIMALIST!? That interface is like a third of the screen!
WTF? Screenshot time!

Shot 1
Shot 2
Shot 3
Shot 4

By the way: http://www.opera.com/voice/
Notoroge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
INFIDEL!!! No, but seriously, I won't use anything without tabbed browsing. I've become addicted to it. No tabbed browsing = no browser. Although voice commands seem pretty cool, if not handy.
It does have tabbed browsing. As proven by my screenshots above. 8)
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah i know it does...
Anyhow, i dled it and im using it-- the voice works- it rocks- but the rest of the stuff iunno yet, still life firefox.
I still don't like the interface... anyhow I can't get it since its paied and the free version has ads Sad
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Notoroge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You can customize the interface entirely. Hell, you can make it look exactly like Firefox if you're into that sorta thing. It's paid, but talk about bang for your buck. I heart Opera.
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright the voice rocks I must say the VOICE is amazing I could use this though out the whole day BECAUSE IT ACTUALLY FRIGGEN WORKS... I eman WOW i added "comp sci" and it auto sends me to this page now... SWEET!!!! i gatta set up teh login and how on earth do i make it click links?
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yo....I'm gonna check this shiznit out.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:49 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Only one problem... where are the extensions?
betaflye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:59 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I use Opera, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Konqueror, depending on what computer I happen to be sitting in front of. I have likes and dislikes of all of them. Opera is however a solid browser and is available on many platforms, including Windows, OS X, FreeBSD and GNU/Linux.
Neo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How do I get it to place the tabs below the address bar like in firefox?
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sad
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 42 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: