Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Flaming
Index -> Network News
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:32 pm   Post subject: Flaming

Okay, this has gone on long enough, and I am as guilty as anyone for it.

From now on, no more flaming, regardless of whether or not a person "had it coming." Compsci.ca is turning over a new leaf today. We are here to promote a friendly and active community aimed at helping people with computer science.

I will be deleting any posts or topics that I feel work against this ideology. This applies to all forums.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
apomb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i thought that that has been dealt with ... and why some people left. i dont think i have seen much flaming lately tho, or is it just cuz you feel that it is wrong?
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's been better, but not gone yet. Also I just noticed there's a flaming post like 4 down...oh well.
apomb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh well, indeed ... and its good to keep things like that actually from getting out of control in the first place.
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

better yet, why dont we just give one warning and then "bane"... i hope dan includes that warning card feature in v3
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, me too.

Until then, anyone who feels that there is something inappropriate going on or something that they would like changed please feel free to PM me. Your username will remain confidential, and I will deal with the problem.
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The yellow card Mod isn't that great-- I like IPBs warning system. Maybe dan can create his own warning sytem thats like the IPB one.
md

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What about when people really deserve it... like certain threads about what people know which I shall not name... what are you gonna do about those?

I'm not going to say that I don't enjoy trouncing on the occational ass who deserves it, but I do prefer actually helping out people who ask nicly Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sigh... ever heard this? "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all". You never know when you could be wrong, someone else, no matter how likely, could be right.

"trouncing on the occational ass who deserves it"
Laughing

PS. I like the IPB warning system too - as long as you let the actual person see their own warning level.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
"if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all"
That's just what the government wants you to do. Oh, would they like it if no one had bad things to say. Freedom of Speech! Yeah!
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya, but I was thinking more along the lines of, to people who you are supposed to be helping, or are supposed to be helping you. This isn't a place where we want to eliminate freedom of speech, just keep that freedom to proper speech. There is obviously a large margin for allowing people to say anything they want, but its different if you say:
'OMG! taht teh worst prog i even see!! u shuld gif up prgramiing!'
or something along those lines. Especially when you have no reason to be saying something like that.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Ya, but I was thinking more along the lines of, to people who you are supposed to be helping, or are supposed to be helping you. This isn't a place where we want to eliminate freedom of speech, just keep that freedom to proper speech. There is obviously a large margin for allowing people to say anything they want, but its different if you say:
'OMG! taht teh worst prog i even see!! u shuld gif up prgramiing!'
or something along those lines. Especially when you have no reason to be saying something like that.
Uh, yeah... it's called a joke. Rolling Eyes
axej

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i don't know, but i personally like flaming. call me what you want, but hey canada's a free country; people are allowed to be @$$holes
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And the administrators are free to ban you if you choose to exercise the freedom you mentioned.

One of the biggest reasons for someone to decide to be an asshole on the internet is that they don't have any consequences to deal with, as shown by the relation:
code:
Internet + Anonymity = Asshole

Think it's bullshit? Try this: walk into a bar and call everybody gay. Walk back and forth shouting really loudly. No points if you do this at a gay bar. Seriously, throw things at people, spit on them, find their car and put some scratches and dents in it.
It's a free country so that shit is allowed, right? Sure it's a big exagerration, but the idea is you wouldn't do that unless you were very VERY drunk because you know that nobody will like it and very few people will just ignore it.

But you don't know us, and we don't know you, so whatever you say can't actually hurt us, right? And since no harm was done, it can't be a bad thing, right? Hell no. What is this website? It's compsci.ca. An online community brought together by an interest in programming (for the most part).

You can be an asshole.
But we don't have to listen to you.

"Sticks and stones may break our bones, but don't fucking dare waste my bandwidth."

I'd like to give a half assed apology in case you, axej, think that all of my "you" words were directed at yourself. That only applied directly to you if you plan to flame others.
axej

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

srry about that, but its sort of fun when you watch people flame. idon't think im going to start flaming. i havn't flamed yet.
   Index -> Network News
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: