Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Congrats to Waterloo ACM team
Index -> Contests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Aidin Kashigar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I haven't taken a look at the problem yet so, no opinion as to whether you're right or not.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

IOI ppl arent guarenteed a position on the ACM team just because they come to waterloo Wink
if you want guarenteed position, goto Toronto or something
thegoose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
IOI ppl arent guarenteed a position on the ACM team just because they come to waterloo Wink

I don't think that either me or Aidin ever posted on this forum saying that we're guaranteed a position on the Waterloo ACM team. Howerver, I do believe that we have a good chance of making it if we are to try for the team (Simon's performance on the Waterloo ACM contests is evidence)
In many ways, IOI and ACM are different. ACM tends to emphasize more on correctness and speed. It also has more math (stuff like Polya and Burnside). IOI on the other hand requires deeper knowledge into algorithms/data structures and is generally harder (if you don't believe me, go look at IOI'02 Korea). Also, ACM is more team work while IOI requires individual working.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i never accused you or Aidin of saying anything.

there are like 4-5 ppl in waterloo that rank at ~2000 or above on topcoder. I dont see how they wouldnt have a good chance of making the team next year. no need to be coky richard, we all know how good you are. come and join the fun here.
Aidin Kashigar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
there are like 4-5 ppl in waterloo that rank at ~2000 or above on topcoder. I dont see how they wouldnt have a good chance of making the team next year. no need to be coky richard, we all know how good you are. come and join the fun here.

Initially I thought there were a bunch of people in the 2000+ region from waterloo that might be able to qualify for ACM next year.

A quick search gave me 4 people:
    Adrian Keugel - can't qualify anymore
    kalmakka - don't know
    Ralph Furmaniak - can't qualify anymore
    tmyklebu - again, don't know
So there are only 2 people in the 2000+ region from waterloo that might be capable of qualifying. Extending this to the 1700+ ranking, I get only 9 people, at least 3 of which cannot qualify. So, either all the waterloo professional programmers are shy in indicating the university they're studying at or .... I have a good chance of making it to at least the gold team next year based on my topcoder rating right now.

Anyways, to make it more interesting, I suggest that bugz offers some amount of Bits (let's say 500 or something) to anyone from CompSci that enters the 2000+ region first (after today of couse, and for the first time) from CompSci and indicates this in this forum. I've been dying to use the shopping feature here but I don't have enough Bits to buy anything interesting, or anything for that matter.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ehm mods can do that.. just PM one of us, if u have a suggstion.. preferably the Site Content Mods.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

this is such a horrible idea that i didnt even bother answering

right now only zylum and Aidin does TC regularly on this board thats fits Aidin's description(i made 2000+ before so i dont count in Aidin's criteria)
and frankly, zylum is around 1100 so he'll take two years work at least to climb up to 2000. zylum is already better than almost every other person on compsci

so Aidin is saying: I am better than anyone on this board at topcoder so I should get 500 bits from bugzpodder

yah, whatever... this is so pointless... programming competitions is not your life you know... you probably wont make a living out of it... Aidin, if you want a *real* challenge, try to beat SnapDragon or tomek... after all, beating zylum or me or rest of compsci isnt too hard now is it? or if you want a more realistic goal, try HappyDude, he's first year from waterloo and he's not bad at all... he even got a higher max rating than me
Aidin Kashigar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I started this topic to congratulate the ACM team on their recent achievement, becoming the North American champions and 4th place overall. Then, the topic was altered to the problems in ACM, which is logical. And then, you come along and change the topic to IOI and Topcoder (two competitions related to ACM) and me and richard (which is totally off subject). Me and Richard might have sounded a little "coky" as you'd like to put it, but that's because of your rather surprising initial post and the two not-so-positive followups.

please do us a favour and stop posting negative things about people not having lives, people spending too much time on something, or people sounding arrogant in their posts. it pisses people off and causes a flame war to start.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

whatever...

a few things
1) not many cares about ACM here... in fact not many even know what the hell it is

2) I didnt change the topic, Richard did, sort of...
Quote:

Aidin...think you and Simon can match that next year?

and I replied, largely as a joke
Quote:

notice the nice Wink sign, indicating a joke, in case someone is slow
but richard apparently took it as an insult to IOI ppl or something, I dont know. He dragged you into this.
also, it should be common sense that team positions are not given to IOI ppl even in Toronto... you have to earn it

Quote:

So, either all the waterloo professional programmers are shy in indicating the university they're studying at or .... I have a good chance of making it to at least the gold team next year based on my topcoder rating right now.

In all honesty, Aidin, I dont doubt your abilities... if you can make the team, great... if you cant, and somehow I made it, I'll consider giving you my position, because I dont really care about ACM, since its just a competition and i am in it for fun.

Quote:

please do us a favour and stop posting negative things about people not having lives, people spending too much time on something, or people sounding arrogant in their posts. it pisses people off and causes a flame war to start.

i was going overboard with "getting a life" thing, so i will apologize for that.
but being arrogant is not my problem since I am not the one doing it. as for pissing ppl off... its as if you or richard havent pissed me off before. But i dont want to get into this. I shrugged it off instead of taking it seriously and get pissed off whenever someone says or does something a little negative. deal it as you well. btw you are the one who is flaming me. one last thing, c.o.c.k.y is restricted word on compsci... well not really. c.o.c.k is... and c.o.c.k.y. is what you have being, in my opinion. tell me, what exactly did you want with the 500 bits contest?? who did you exactly plan to compete with? what exactly is the point of it? if you can answer that, then i'll retract my previous statements and give you an apology
Aidin Kashigar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well, here are some answers to your many questions Wink

who did I exactly plan to compete with?
- well, you. but I guess I screwed that up with the 1st time rule. and I assumed there were more topcoders in this community.

what exactly is the point of it?
- motivating more people to sign up to topcoder from CompSci and also, motivating myself to pass the 2000 rating finally. Actually, this might have forced Richard to finally compete in topcoder. Oh, wellz Razz

btw, when is your co-op term, bugz?
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

make it 2200 and you are on... 5000 bits. What if i win??
I work for SESI
Aidin Kashigar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

5000 bits, eh? Well, we have to get the mods in on this then. cause i'd need a few thousand posts to get that many Bits.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

neh... its not like we ever gonna make 2200 anytime soon anyways... not in 12 months i predict.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright, Iet me in on this too. Right now my rating on TopCoder is slightly less than one fifth of four.

I can provide the bits. Also, if it follows bugz's 12 month prediction, bits should be actually useful by then. Wink
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You guys ever considered the geniuses from KCI? So many, Simon, Bill, etc. Simon is in top 3 in Canada for the CCC contests, also he has a place in the top 50 math rankings across Canada. By the ways, what happened to Vassili?
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 31 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: