Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Turing 4.0.5 Update
Index -> Network News
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

err... basic calc and quadratics are completely different things... quadratics are an important step leading up to calc, but to say quadratics equals basic calc, thats way off
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sorry then, I'm not that good in math anyways... Confused

Anyways, basic quadratics is what I meant.

That's twice I have had to say I'm proven wrong!
RscMod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:43 am   Post subject: i stillcant get a 4.05d version!!!!!!

even thoh i got 4.04c
Tupacalypse_Vinsanity

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:20 pm   Post subject: Hmm

Does anyone have the 4.0.5 installer that they can send to me? id greatly appreciate it!

tupacalypse.now@gmail.com
1of42

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Ya... except even in the highest possible 'enriched' program I doubt more than a few people in North America knew what cos/tan/sin are in grade 9. I'm pretty sure that starts in grade 10/11.

My school teaches right-angle trig and sin/cos laws in grade 8.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, I have been proven wrong before, and surprised. I guess I just haven't been to enough schools Confused .

May I ask what school it is?
wtd

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1of42 wrote:
[Gandalf] wrote:
Ya... except even in the highest possible 'enriched' program I doubt more than a few people in North America knew what cos/tan/sin are in grade 9. I'm pretty sure that starts in grade 10/11.

My school teaches right-angle trig and sin/cos laws in grade 8.

Mine did too.
Naveg

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well....children are getting more and more stupid over time. So are the people who write the curriculums.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
the_short1

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i dont check compsci enuf,..IF ANYONE NEEDS THE UPDATE/INSTALLER <same ting, just email me short1@gmail.com i have it on there it takes me 1minute to send it.. its 12mb and i used winzip to split it in half so i could upload to gmail...

also.. other peeps liek try to keep this ontopic about turing update...
,, i sent to tupac FYI
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Vladimir wrote:
Well....children are getting more and more stupid over time.

I fail to see how. As time goes on, the human race aquires more and more knowledge. This forces us to do one of the following: a.) specialize completely; b.) know the extra material; c.) a bit of both. The answer is c. We need to know more, but we also can't be learning for our whole lives (exaggerated), so the learning process is accelerated.
1of42

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And that is relevant how? People were pointing out how children are learning things later and later - the fact that the human race is acquiring more knowledge is almost irrelevant to that. what is taught in school in the earlier grades has not (apart from the computer science aspect of the curriculum) changed enormously in content for a long time - i would bet that few science classes spend lots of time on the latest cutting-edge advancements, etc...

I don't have an explanation for why things take longer, but I'm doubting that advancements in knowledge are part of it; you got to school by and large, not to learn actual things that will be helpful professionally or w/e, but rather to learn how to learn.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1of42 wrote:
People were pointing out how children are learning things later and later

I thought it was a discussion of when various people learn various things. That is, until Vladmir said we're all getting stupider as time passes. Laughing

1of42 wrote:
i would bet that few science classes spend lots of time on the latest cutting-edge advancements, etc...

Absolutely not: that's beyond University!

1of42 wrote:
you got to school by and large, not to learn actual things that will be helpful professionally or w/e, but rather to learn how to learn.

Yes, that's part of it. But not the "by and large" of it. Let's say a child goes through school and takes only English courses. This child will one day become a scientist. He goes through school and learns how to learn. Whoopie! He graduates from University and gets a pH.D in English. Now, he has to learn science to become a scientist. He knows how to learn, but it's still going to take him a good solid decade to get the knowledge required to reach his goal. Now backtrack to the time of the Roman Empire. Do you think that a child who had the same style of life (that is, he learned how to learn and only learned about English, but wanted to be a scientist) would require as much time to reach his goal of becoming a scientist, given the same intelligence? Clearly not. Fastforward to the time of startrek. Once again, do you think that same child would require the same amount of time to learn all he needs to become a scientist in an age where science is leaps and bounds ahead of what it is today? Clearly, he would need to devote much more time.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1of42 wrote:
what is taught in school in the earlier grades has not (apart from the computer science aspect of the curriculum) changed enormously in content for a long time - i would bet that few science classes spend lots of time on the latest cutting-edge advancements, etc...

How long ago is "a long time"? If you consider 100 years a long time, then it has changed tremendously. For how long do you think quantum has been taught in high school? It wasn't even widely accepted until the last few decades. For his part, Einstein was skeptical about a lot of things, like wave particle duality. Now they're mandatory learning for grade 11 chemistry. My signiature on AoPS is "The simplest schoolboy is now familiar with facts for which Archimedes would have sacrificed his life. --Ernest Renan" The fact is, education is certainly changing, if you take a look at the grand scheme of things. Are we going to be including every year's new scientific discoveries into the grade 3 exam? No. But at least we're keeping up.
nmr123321

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

please post where i can find the update guyz
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Why hasn't this been locked yet? *click*
   Index -> Network News
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 11 of 11  [ 165 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: