Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What is Java
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
nate

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:37 pm   Post subject: What is Java

Could someone tell me about Java, what it is. How it is used
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 2:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

java is a web enabled programming language. Instead of an exe file, you compile an object that you can insert into a webpage
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

is there a way to transform an exe file to class file?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you mean to like run turing programs on the net? then no...

but you could if you had a .Net language... such as C# or VB.Net... those languages are for the .Net framework and operate similar to Java (I think)
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well if u could transfor .exe to calls u could run it on net... couldn't u?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you can run GCI scripts in exe format... so yeah, exe will be executed, but serverside, not for client.
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 6:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well

Java is a general purpose, robust, secure and efficient as well as one of the best designed programming language.

It was originally designed with the idea of programming embedded systems. (PDA, etc...). But the technology was too advanced for that time. It didn't work out.

Later on. The internet got popular. The folks at Sun Microsystems, decided to twist the game a little

Java's moto was then to write once and execute anywhere. To do this it runs the applications in a virtual machine. (yes u need to download this thing to run java apps, although most machines have it pre-installed)

the write once - run everywhere was kinda cool. and it worked well when networking became popular. the internet in particular.

Java had extended its functionally so much that u can now create applets, [these programs work on any machine in the window of your Java enabled browser. (ie, mozilla, etc...)] and do much more!

But to program correctly in Java, and the Java way, requires a lot of learning. Specially _correct_ OO concepts.
Turing has some OO fetures to it, but they are not implemented correctly, and are quite limiting. So is VB. (but no VB.net or C#)

Java on the other hand is a OOP language form the ground up. It was designed to have everything as objects, and have these objects interact with one another int eh OO world and so on... you get the picture... Objects!

A well designed Java application, is highly scalable, flexible, and extensible. Thus they tend to be highly maintainable. Large companies have all their personal software written in Java for these reasons.

If you guys decide to give it a try. You'll love the ease of use the amazing language.

But learn it correctly.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

awesome... I'm learning Java in compsci AP next year @ university level, so if you guys wanna follow, let me know and I'll be writing a tons of tutorials next year.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

one of the reasons java is better than c++ or other languages is that c++ compiles the file in .exe format so if u compile yer code in windows u can not run it on unix or other OS but java comiles it in .class format so u can run it on any OS...
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

java is not better than c++...
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it has it's advantages over c++ and c++ has it's own advantages over java...
for example there's no opengl built in java
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i hope i get to learn java nex year but knowin how stupid my skool is they might not even teach it Evil or Very Mad
nate

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:46 pm   Post subject: i am learnign it

Next, year (grade 10) i think i am learning java so i want to get to know it a bit b4 the next year! Any sugestions on where to download like ""a java program" or tutorials on learning java (begginers) tell me!
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ive got java next year too, at least thats what they said last year
the compsci teacher (the only one) is quite a pushover so im prety confident ill be doing it next year
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Catalyst wrote:
java is not better than c++...

in terms of structure and design it is!

in terms of performance and speed, maybe not Sad. since java bytecodes (those .class files) are intepreted by the Java Virtual Machine (JVM)

but it keeps getting better. The JVM has been tweaked for performance a 1000 times now. Its speed is quite comparable to some types of compiled programs.
the GUI side of java tends to run slower. but the speed difference is not much really

usually c++ programmers tend to like Java
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: