Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 McMaster Olympics
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MyPistolsIn3D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:20 pm   Post subject: McMaster Olympics

Anyone going to McMasters science olympics? If so, are you doing the programming event? Lego robots, should be fun.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Genesis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm going.

No programming though. My school's too cheap to buy Lego Robots for me to learn how to program them. I wanted to do that though.
Pickles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh ill be there.. hooray for tracksuits
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Genesis wrote:
My school's too cheap to buy Lego Robots for me to learn how to program them.

you generally program them in C or Java anyways... so if you're familiar with LEGO and one of the languages above, its very easy to pick up on the consepts.

do I have to be a part of a highschool team for this?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Pickles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

its not even Java or or C i dont believe, its using something called RoboLab atleast thats the software they said that is included in each of sets.. where its just like icons to show what to do.. ie you insert an icon that tells it to turn on and it does that.. it said it was meant for kids like 8 and up so we figure we can figure it out..

This is just speculation, and a bit of hope, cause if its in C we are royally screwed, and if its in java we have 1 guy that knows that watered down holtsoft java.. and thats about it.

Smile
Genesis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh really. Cool.

Well it's too late now, we didn't register for that event. Sad

tony wrote:
do I have to be a part of a highschool team for this?

Ya you do.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Pickles : LEGO mindstorm is for 12+, but yeah, they got their own drag & drop logic blocks visual design entironment. Though you can imagine how useless that is...

here I'm suppost to program my robot in C for the project, but I want to try to convince my TAs to let me install java on the unit instead... I'll be talking to them tomorrow about it
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Pickles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ahhh, you were talking bout the old real ones.. gotcha

How are you liking mechatronics? it seems to be an interesting program.

How many hours of hw do you have?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
zylum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm going to be there too Wink

if you need to find my team it's cald team Michael (me) and its got 3 ppl in it
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Pickles wrote:
How are you liking mechatronics? it seems to be an interesting program.

How many hours of hw do you have?

I think I need to make a FAQ page about my degree program Confused

in a nutshell, its awesome! I get about 5 hours of work / week, all done wednesday night. But you got to keep in mind that we have 30 hours of lectures (with some tutorials mixed in) / week as well.
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://lejos.sf.net yep u can use java to program the mindstorm
Pickles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Lets hope mother nature holds off on the rain
MyPistolsIn3D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Go team Cheat! Man we got destroyed. But at least we lost with style.
zylum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my team won software engineering thanks to me even though i thought the even was a pile of crap with almost nothing to do with programming...

also a team from my school won the spiral something event... it was the wone where you had to build a protein molecule and take a chem test or something
Genesis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

We didn't win anything either. Although I wasn't very impressed with the judgind system they had.

For my mechanical transporter, their target wasn't even centered with the ramp, and the guy wouldn't let me move it. And the ramp was kinda warped at the bottom and sent the car a bit off track. So we ended up perfectly in line with the target, but a few centimeteres to the right.

And in the photonics challenge (which was worth it just to wear the white suit) I think we should've gotten at least top three. Our shape was really complex, we hit every target in the most difficult way possible, had an awesome poem, and aced the test. But I think the chick judging our table was a little slow, she even spilled liquid nitrogen all over our thing.

Also our teacher clearly won the challenge! (Or at least came second, although I checked everyone elses thing and it looked like we won.) But somehow ended up in fifth! The girl beside her who's crane thing snapped and fell over got a higher place! Evil or Very Mad I think they read the list in reverse.

Oh well though. Good times. Smile
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 27 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: