Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Password Protection of Internet Connection
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:14 pm   Post subject: Password Protection of Internet Connection

I have a 10.0mbps connection from cogeco. This connection is always on; that is, I turn on the computer and I have internet.

Is there any way that I can require a password to get onto the internet? I've also got a netgear router if that helps.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Not if they know what they are doing....
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

don't u just set an admin password on the router, then go into the PPPoE settings of the router and have it not auto-connect, then just go on the router settings and manually connect each time. That still doesn't stop ppl from bypassing the router by directly connecting ur modem to ur computer.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Paul wrote:
don't u just set an admin password on the router, then go into the PPPoE settings of the router and have it not auto-connect, then just go on the router settings and manually connect each time. That still doesn't stop ppl from bypassing the router by directly connecting ur modem to ur computer.

That whould only stop it from going to other computers as well, and you could allways just hit the reset buttion on it. On the main computer they could pop in a live linux cd and u whould be screwed.

The only way i see whould be not using the router and seting the computer to not auto-connect and make the user have to put in the ISP user name and pass each time (i am sort if that is what u ment paul). Tho that whould be a pain. The best lock you could put on it is the lock to the door on your room Wink
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

y not just get a software firewall and just put on some setting from there?
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

no its not what I meant, I have it so that my router auto connects, with all the PPPoE settings saved already. The only difference with my suggestion is, going to 192.168.2.1 and then entering a password, then clicking the "connect" button. besides, no one wants to take over your comp, stop being paranoid.
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My mom wants to set a password for my little brother...
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

software firewall is the way to go then
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Exactly... geez, what are u ppl thinking. In that case, my way will work perfectly. But he can't even go on the internet without knowing the router password... so yea. Unless you want ur computer to be online at all times Confused
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: