Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Whats your OS * 50 Bits *
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Which OS are you
(No ending time set)
Unix
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Windows
73%
 73%  [ 19 ]
Mac
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Linux
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 26

shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:35 am   Post subject: Whats your OS * 50 Bits *

* only vote if you have posted this is a must for my survey , 50 bits for each poster *
Okay this has been done , but im trying ot pull off a survey of about 1000 people in ontario , Post your reply as a Answer ot the poll , and a post htat follows these paramaters

Pro's Con's apply to current OS only
Market price :
Previous OS :
Pro's :
Con's :
Link to Info about the OS :
Additional Message :

okay no FIGHTING FLAMING , SPAMMING , id like ot see every post follow that format , so that this can look good and be useful , tihs isa good way to get people to try new OS and to get word out about unpopular , or underused ones ,
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

* Add Market price as an option
* Pro's Con's apply to current OS only

Market Price : 30$ ( Free Download , i have hte physical dvd and documentation )

Previous OS : Windows XP Home

Pro's : Great Compatibility With FAT32 , Utilizes the latest in KDE anf Gnome, Has a full support centre , from Novell , Easy updating packages like windows update , Comes prebundled with Many Applications , Linux now supports 90% of Graphics cards on the Market , FREE

Con's : Steeper Learning Curve than some other Distributions , Command Line use can be tedious to New users , Only complete * read * capability of NTFS , writing is not Sourced Yet ,

Information about My OS : http://www.suse.com/us/

Additional Message : I have this on My Laptop , i use my linksys wireless card with no problems and Full 3d hardware acceleratio nfor my ATI mobility video card ,Burning is perfect and I do say that im not a MS basher , but i really enjoy the linux Scene Very Happy
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Previous OS : Windows 98 SE
Pro's : user friendly. eh - autodetects most plugable devises and oftentimes installs the needed drivers right away. Autodetectable network settings. Looks preaty (compared to <98 ).
Con's : It's still a Windows. Fucks up. Giving me a hard time setting up networks with other OSs (Win95/98 ) Random crashes. Having IE integrated (piece of shit)
Link to Info about the OS : some microsoft website
Additional Message : for the sake of my own health, I never installed linux on this family PC as I would have gotten eaten alive...
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Previous OS : Windows XP
Pro's : Installation was simple, comes with many useful applications. Pretty fast.
Con's : Comes with KDE.
Link to Info about the OS : www.mandrake.com, www.linux-mandrake.com, www.mandrakeclub.com
Additional Message : It's Linux, in one of it's many forms. I like.
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Previous OS : Linux (RedHat, Mandrake, Debian, Gentoo), Windows (98,Me,2000,XP pro)
Pro's : Gives the best of 3 worlds (windows, unix, mac), the mac experience is out of this world!
Con's : Only for PPC machines, not the best for gaming
Info on OS : www.apple.com, darwine.sourceforge.net, www.opendarwin.org, fink.sf.net
Additional Message : Although there's support for PPC machines only, this happens to be a plus point in a way, PPC technology is a RISC-based technology and far superior to the CISC x86 tech. It a good thing to see apple forcing the use of better technologies. That way they are not just forgotten about but instead are continued to be used. Another thing mac is my family OS. (no one here uses WinXP except for one fool)

SuSE is my second favourite OS! Wink (also a current OS of mine. but then, so is xp pro, well since i almost never use it unless i play games, which i'm kinda getting bored of righ now,, so yea i'm going to pretend that i dont have it.)
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Current OS: Windows XP/Gentoo Dual Boot.
Market Price: Windows XP: $450 CDN, Gentoo: Free.
Previous OS: Windows XP.

Windows XP
Pros
: Clean user interface. Excellent wireless support. Gaming.
Cons: Weird, seemingly random errors, no 64 bit support. Sticky keys warnings. Gaming.

Gentoo 2004.2
Pros
: Probably the fastest full Linux distro available. Emerge is a beautiful command. 64 bit support through kernel 2.6 (actually a noticable performance hike). Very stable, and easy to use/maintain once you get it running. No rpm Very Happy
Cons: Wireless still doesn't work on it (probably my fault). Very involved, command line install. No gaming capabilites. And (not its fault) no even half-decent ATI display drivers. Also, I had to flash my BIOS to get it to work, which was scary.

Additional Message:
I had a great deal of difficulty getting the two OS's to dual boot through Lilo. It seems to be worth it though. Now, if only I had the guts to get rid of Windows entirely. Gah...
Genesis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Current OS: SuSE 9.1 Personal Edition
Market Price: Free!
Previous OS: Windows XP Pro

Pros: Relativley quick, straight forward install. I find that it's pretty user friendly (for linux anyways). The YaST installer and support for rpm's is great. Also comes with KDE and Gnome. Easy to dual boot using GRUB.
Cons: Somewhat tricky to get wireless internet up and running, especially if you're new to linux. The downloaded personal CD that I used to install was also missing a few important files.

Link to Info: www.suse.com

Additional Message: SuSE is one of my favourite distributions of linux. Other than setting up the internet, I've had very few problems with it. It's capability to read NTFS partitions is also great.
TheFerret

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Market price : $200 (I think)
Previous OS :Winows 98
Pro's : Very stable and nice look
Con's : Uses a lot of memory
Link to Info about the OS :www.windows.com
Additional Message : ...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Market price : Probably very expensive, but I didn't buy
Previous OS :Winows 98
Pro's : More stable than previous windows versions
Con's : Too flashy, not reccommended for 486's Laughing
Link to Info about the OS :www.windows.com
Additional Message : Windows 98 allows you to get free internet without banners.
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Market Price: ~$300.00/$8.00 ($0 + 8x CD)
Previous OS: Windows ME (mistake!)
Pros: Windows XP: Friendly Interface, Fairly Stable, supports my games
Cons: Debian: Difficult to set up, requires much more knowledge
Link to Info about: Windows XP Home Edition and Debian Linux
Additional Message: Windows is designed for comfort over power, Debian Linux is not. I would have gone to Windows XP Pro, but it seems to not be able to upgrade that way... Also, Win XP SP2 has failed on install 11 times.
the_short1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Market Price: cheaper then xp.. but u prob cant buy no more
Previous OS: windows 95 (on sisters comp)
Pros: very easy and fast to install <no issues... easy to start from scratch... easy to fix...good fat 32... dont need good comp... able to use most games and programs... good control element.. < XP too automatic...
Cons: maybe not able to use the newest best hardware....or at least not to its full potential.... some better software may not work.... its not as userfriendly as xp home for NOOB users... but its very simple...
Link to Info about: www.windows.com
Additional Message: ive had to format and start from scratch due to viruses and ther crap... but it only takes 1 hour to have windows up and running again.... or even without formating... still easy to install... doesnl;t need 256 ram just for dam os like xp (yea i exagerating a little)
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Market price : ~179.99
Previous OS : Me
Pro's : it has IE
Con's : not very reliable
Link to Info about the OS : www.microsoft.com
Additional Message : none
shorthair

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Dont be to Enthusiastic Bugz Very Happy
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Market price : $0 (unless u whont them to send u a cd or somting)
Previous OS : win95, win98, winxp, lots of linux distros.
Pro's :easy to set up, incuded desktop is nice looking, works well, dectes most hardware, litte crashing, more custimezed then non-open source ones.
Con's : some hardware is not comablte but most is.
Link to Info about the OS : www.suse.com
Additional Message :

Get pro verson via ftp and not personal iso for more free full apps

Can run some windows progames via wine

Comes with kde desktop by defualt witch i like but u may whont to use somting eltes.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
Pro's : it has IE

I don't get it, how is this a good thing?

Browse smart.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 39 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: