Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Anyone seen this?
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Genesis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:01 am   Post subject: Anyone seen this?

Haha, I just saw this today. (It's a GIF, so it should change every once and a while.)

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

There's this too: http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/facts/default.asp.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

how would they even determine is the webserver is owned by terrorists or not? Laughing

and that microsoft page is a joke

Forrester
Detailed Financials Show Total Linux Costs Higher Than Windows Costs by 5 to 20 Percent
- based on an analysis of 5 companies, a chunk of which went into retraining staff (they just assume noone needs training with windows) and the possibility of needing to purchase 3rd party utility programs

Yankee Group
Large Enterprises: Switching from Windows to Linux "Prohibitively Expensive, Extremely Complex, Provides No Tangible Business Gains"
- costs of switch. Void if you're starting off with Linux in first place Laughing Article also places emphesis on the purchase of 3rd party utilities

BearingPoint
Licensing and Support Acquisition Costs Comparable for Windows Server, SUSE Linux, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- "Windows Server 2003 was found to be less than one or both of the commercial Linux offerings in several cases" Does anyone else find that sentance funny? Laughing

Windows Users Have Fewer Vulnerabilities - "On average, Microsoft had a fix available 25 days after a security issue was publicly disclosed" Not something to be proud off... seeing as they try to keep all the flows out of the media (they have enough as it is). Actually when was the last time you've heard about a Linux vulnarability on the news? Thinking

Windows Server 2003 Outperforms Linux for File Serving - "Windows Server 2003 outperformed Samba 3.0" great! pick on some app you found that can run on linux Rolling Eyes
"Up to 59% better peak performance " - ok... how about an average?

Equifax Sees 14 Percent Cost Savings - the only article with no summary... why? there's nothing to summazine Laughing under the "14% cost savings" they talk about Visual C++ suit for their app development Rolling Eyes

---------------------------------------------

So there you have it... Microsoft is full of shit. You can make articles look like anything when you start taking quotes out of context Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Genesis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Haha, perhaps Microsoft surveyed some terrorists for their info.

And yep, that's Microsoft for yah. Trying to convince people that their software is cheaper than free software.

It's interesting that if you actually read the documents, Microsoft forgot to include such quotes as "Linux, and other open source software can provide big benefits to the organization". Funny they didn't mention that in the summaries.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It is pretty funny. It's like.

Windows better at everything than linux: In a recent test, we discovered that linux doesn't actually work, and that with linux installed, your computer won't even turn on! Note that the test was performed on an unplugged linux box.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Although I do have to agree that windows does have a lower Total Cost of 0wnership. Here's the documentation to support it.
templest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Darkness wrote:
It is pretty funny. It's like.

Windows better at everything than linux: In a recent test, we discovered that linux doesn't actually work, and that with linux installed, your computer won't even turn on! Note that the test was performed on an unplugged linux box.

for those too lazy to copy / paste into your address bar to see what it says. Laughing
templest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You got that from the article on slashdot, didn't you? Razz
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://jill.jazzkeyboard.com/qarticles.html
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That thing about windows being more sceuer is a joke, the linux update progame i have for suse gets things fixed with in houres of the hole being found not days.

Also poleop keep saying that linux costs more in the end but i have yet to see this, i have been using linux on at least one of my comps for a very long time now and have yet to spend a cent, unless u count the time i spent dling the ISO file but my isp dose not chaged by the bandwith nor by time. Also most linux distros come with alot of free software that whould uhsely be bougth when working with windows.

Edit:
Al Qaeda IT Perfsnales eh? i whonder what kind of eduaction u need to get that job. I have a fealing this add may be fake, but still funny :p
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Dan, I think they mean how time = money and all that. You may not have spent money on books, or the install CDs, but you had all this free time to spend learning Linux. Other's may not have that freedom: they need to know how to use it, and they need to know now. Windows is newb-friendly.
But let's not start another debate, eh? Smile
templest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Mazer wrote:
Dan, I think they mean how time = money and all that. You may not have spent money on books, or the install CDs, but you had all this free time to spend learning Linux. Other's may not have that freedom: they need to know how to use it, and they need to know now. Windows is newb-friendly.
But let's not start another debate, eh? Smile

At least someone agrees with me. Rolling Eyes
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:57 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Dan, you should really read that tc0.pdf that I linked to. I think you'd actually appretiate it.

To quote the summary.
Quote:
Immunity's findings clearly show that the best platform for your
targets to be running is Microsoft Windows, allowing you unparalleled
value for their dollar. This result reinforces the fact that its important
to consider more than just licensing fees when your targets choose
their OS. Indeed, a variety of factors go into their choice, and over
time, Windows has demonstrated itself to be the top contender in the,
in both the server and the desktop space for Total Cost of 0wnership.
templest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

0wnership is spelt with an "0" for a reason. Wink
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Darkness, i aucaltay did read some of that pdf and i still blive linux is better and cheaper in every way. Using suse it toke me less time to install and configer an os then with windows 98 or xp and it did not take me that much time to figer out how KDE works and the linux comands are almost the same as windows ones but there are more and i have been using alot of them on the webserver for along time any how.

As for how fast u can do stuff in linux vs windows, i find i can be far more prodcitve in an linux everment like KDE then windows and i do most of my progaming in linux b/c it is easyer and faster.

It may cost comanys more if they sundey chage to linux w/o warning but the same thing whould hapen if u whent from linux to windows. Also for home users i think it whould mean saving even more money using linux.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Darkness wrote:
Note that the test was performed on an unplugged linux box.

almost Laughing
The Register wrote:
The Meta study compared the cost of Linux, running on IBM's z900 mainframe, to a Windows Server 2003 image, running on 900 MHz Intel Xeon CPUs.

full article
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 24 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: